Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took off my doorhandles for the respray, now, went to put them on and they aren't "grabbing" anything. By grabbing I mean the back of the actual door handle that goes in the door that is shaped like an L or hook. Took them off just like B manual said, put them in same way.

Tried drivers side, then went to passenger. Felt what it was supposed to grab on passenger side but it was bent or moved out of the way so wouldn't grab it. Don't know if it fell off in the door or painters broke it opening the doors with their fingers, just nothing there but air.

Is there a replacement part - was looking on thesaabsite for the part as well as in my Bentley manual, not seeing it. SO FRUSTRATING... Leaving window cracked to get in = old already.

Also guessing window reg/motor etc.. has to come out to get to it... nice.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I was really frightened taking the door handles off of my Commemorative before I started sanding. One look inside the door panel at the complicated network of parts and I was thinking "this looks like it might be trouble...." I'm sure others will chime in on potential solutions.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
Did you remove the screws all the way? There's a seperate tab that the screws go into and as you tighten the screw it draws the tab in to lock the handle in place. If the screws are all the way out, you'll have to fish around in the bottom of the door to find the tab. Start the screw in the tab, fit the handle(you'll need to put them in at a 90 degree angle so they catch behind the lever) and tighten screws

·
Registered
129 Posts
From what I remember it's a pain. Like seriks1 said you get the locking tabs set up from the inside of the door jam screws. Then I think you have to roll the L on the back of the handle into the catch of the door mechanism. Then get it all thigh-tend down without loosing it. It sucks because everything is in your way and you can't easily get your hands in there.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
I've painted my c900 Commem 3-door, and my c900 SE 'vert. Door handles on the 'vert are 100x more difficult to re-install. I had to walk away a number of times for fear of breaking something in my rage fests...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
THE CATCH! That is what I am not feeling on the drivers side. Follewed steps in manual... thinking the catch came off inside the door or possibly imploded, warped to another universe, not sure, but it right where you can feel it - only thing I can feel is a screw or something attached to the rest of the door mech. pull it and door opens... but the catch that feels like it should be there isn't there!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts