Saab Link Forums banner

821 - 840 of 846 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #821 ·
Lake of updates does not = lack of miles/driving/enthusiasm for this car!

In the process of closing on a house, so my time/money/energy has been tied up in that.

I'm still driving the 85 a day a week to work and on weekends. Nothing too exciting, but still loving every mile in it.

No real work done lately, just driving it. It's been running/driving fine, and still so so so much better with the new CPS kit and the timing being where it should be.

It does still leak oil from the pump area, but I check it regularly and top off as needed. The clutch gets soft after sitting for a few days, the whole system could use a bleed. Unless I start driving it a lot more, these two things will wait until winter. No exhaust yet, as I've had no time/$ for it. Eventually.

Happy SAABing!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #822 ·
One for the ages :(

We just closed on our first house Friday morning. We had been renting the house for about 9 months prior, so it was a really neat "try before you buy" sorta scenario. As closing day neared, I had been bugging the seller's realtor about the seller getting their remaining stuff out of the shed and garage. Items included an old snowmobile and a motorcycle. She kept telling me she didn't know when they'd be by, but she would let me know. I was eager to coordinate with the sellers so that I could make sure my things were out of the way and didn't get damaged or taken by mistake while they were removing their stuff. Most important of course, was my 85 which is always parked in the garage.

So Thursday morning I talk to the realtor and she says still no word on when they're coming to get their stuff. Then at 1pm same day I get a text that they came and got everything. I was immediately concerned because the motorcycle was tucked in pretty tightly behind my 85 and under a set of stairs. I thought no way could they get it out without banging into the car. So I get home and look the car over and all looks fine, I was shocked but figured maybe they were careful and just muscled it around the ass end. All good.

Friday about 6 hours after the closing was complete, I hopped in the 85 to head to the hardware store and get some goodies for the new house. Immediately I notice the key won't go into the ignition! Then, I notice the shifter is moved from reverse!!! I suddenly realize what had happened... The sonofabitch GOT IN MY CAR, SLAMMED IT OUT OF REVERSE, AND ROLLED IT IN AND OUT OF THE GARAGE!!! All without my knowing or consent. If I had any heads up whatsoever I would have parked the car in the driveway, or even if they had called me when they got to the house I would have left work and come moved the car out of the way.

My girlfriend called the realtor, because I was fuming and at a loss for words. The realtor didn't know what to say but actually confirmed our first thought which was to call the police. So we did. Officer came by, was very nice and understanding, we filled out a statement. He even suggested maybe we call the old homeowner and simply ask if he moved the car (which I already knew he did). So we did. I called him up on speakerphone with my girlfriend in the room and asked him point blank. And he admitted to it! He said "I just got in and popped it into neutral". I explained to him that he actually broke it, and he insisted he did no such thing. I asked him again if he entered the car and moved the shifter and he said yes, time and again he admitted to it. Sonofabitch!

I know SAABs are quirky, and he had no idea. But the MFer had NO RIGHT to enter my vehicle, move the shifter, and roll it in and out of the driveway.

So anyway, long story short, the officer is looking into it for us. He is worried it may fall into the cracks because there was nothing malicious or intentional about his actions. Negligent for sure, but there is nothing really for "negligent criminal mischief". So hopefully he comes up with something for us, but I may have to settle for a civil suit. We have reached out to the guy and his wife, but haven't heard back yet. The dude is a total blowhard and I am expecting him to insist that he did nothing wrong.

What a buzzkill for our first day in our new home :(

Now the 85 is stuck in neutral, the shifter barely moves towards 4th but nowhere else. And the key barely makes it 1/3 of the way into the ignition. Can't start it, can't shift it. I'm fucked. Going to call Steve at SAAB Specific in the AM for a quote and probably have it towed down there. Otherwise I may wait and try and con MikeD into diving up and fixing it for me. The summer is short, I want it fixed, and I'll deal with this jackass later. He will pay one way or another... Sonofabitch.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I have a shifter assembly (several actually) I can post to you. Found a Kurbads short kit and will install it soon.

He probably bent the reverse lock out pin or the lever that blocks it.

If you have never done this you will have to remove a good part of the front interior to access the shifter housing.

You might be able to pull the shift lever and remove the lock out pin and drive the car. Pop the bellow off and its 3 screws to remove.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Ah man, sorry to hear this. Amazing what people think is 'no big deal' when it comes to other people's property. I had something similar happen at work when I was still DD'ing my 85, left it in a lot one day that required that I leave my keys with the attendant in case they had to move the cars. I get back to my car in the afternoon, and notice that it's in neutral...with the key out of the ignition...and the reverse lockout no longer working. Lucky they just bent the lockout pin and didnt snap the key off in the ignition. I walked into the office and of course they denied doing anything wrong, last time I used that lot.

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
What a fuck head. Couldn't just sink the clutch to roll it instead? Ugh. I tend to keep my stuff locked up even in the garage. Have Mike and I come up to see the new place and a campfire, I bet that would get his interest. :)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
this shit happens, i i once took my 95 wagon to get it inspected, and it came back with the shift boot removed, and center lock ring destroyed,, i would have ripped them a new one, but the car passed inspection, when it really shouldnt have. so i just fixed it.

Still pissed me off.

Now i leave notes on steering wheels when i have to hand the keys to anybody else for these things

·
Super Moderator
6,721 Posts
My own key story. I dropped off my SPG at an exhaust shop. Wrote a letter describing the two different keys (doors, ignition), how it needs to be in R to pull the key out, everything. I even labeled the keys themselves. I go to pick up the car, and the fuccboi hands me a screwdriver and says "Here's your new key!" -_- He ended up putting the key that says "DOOR" into the ignition and ripping the fragile ignition cylinder out completely.

The naive 18 year old in me said it's no big deal, it was weak anyways! Live and learn.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #828 ·
What a fuck head. Couldn't just sink the clutch to roll it instead? Ugh. I tend to keep my stuff locked up even in the garage. Have Mike and I come up to see the new place and a campfire, I bet that would get his interest. :)
What's on your agenda next weekend? The 8th/9th???

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #830 ·
Oh yeah, bent to shit spare key slid in the ignition and got the shifter freed up and the car is driveable. Shifting was very notchy first few days like something was out of alignment still, but smoothed out after a few drives.

Will be at SCD on Sunday :)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #831 ·
Any no no's out there for clutch master cylinders? Mine is on its way out and rock auto has them ranging from 45-85$. Just wanna make sure there aren't any brands I should be avoiding. Going to check and see what the local store can get too, their prices are typically very competitive.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #832 ·
Geez... long time no post :)

Ball joint question. What are the c900 guys using for ball joints? I see them ranging in price from $10-30 each. Wondering if on a summer only car that sees maybe 5k miles a year if I'm really going to notice the difference in price. I know I shouldn't be such a cheap bastard...

·
Registered
656 Posts
I have nothing to offer yet, but I'm curious what the consensus is because my 'vert will be needing some ball joints.
I was debating buying the cheapo $20 units to complete my build now, but I just went with the new bolts. I'm planning on eventually swallowing the pill and buying the $65 OE joints.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
For what it's worth, the local Advance Auto Parts offers TRW as their "cheap line" of chassis parts and Moog as a (usually) costly upgrade.

I've had bad luck with TRW parts in the past and never had an issue with Moog.. Just personal experience but worth noting.

·
Registered
965 Posts
For what it's worth, the local Advance Auto Parts offers TRW as their "cheap line" of chassis parts and Moog as a (usually) costly upgrade.

I've had bad luck with TRW parts in the past and never had an issue with Moog.. Just personal experience but worth noting.
Strange, probably part specific issues. My Moog issues were junk strut bearings.

I have used Moog ball joints without issues.

Correct me if I am wrong but wasn't TRW Saab OEM?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #837 ·
Wow, over 2 years since I've posted in this thread!!! what an injustice.

This car is awesome. Still needs some love, only drove it ~900 miles last year :(

It got all cleaned up this spring, washed, clay bar, wax, looks better than ever! Already a couple hundred miles on it and they'll be piling on quickly this summer. I'll try and post here more frequently and get some updated pics.

I still lobby this car for the "greatest $500 car ever" trophy.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Wow, over 2 years since I've posted in this thread!!! what an injustice.

This car is awesome. Still needs some love, only drove it ~900 miles last year :(

It got all cleaned up this spring, washed, clay bar, wax, looks better than ever! Already a couple hundred miles on it and they'll be piling on quickly this summer. I'll try and post here more frequently and get some updated pics.

I still lobby this car for the "greatest $500 car ever" trophy.
Pics or it didn't happen, i just picked up a red 1985, looking forward to driving a C900 again, always inspired by this one since i saw it at the Larz show (wow, about 5 years ago or so right after you T5'd it)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #839 · (Edited)
Been driving the 85 a bit more lately. I test drove a Fiesta ST and remembered I already have a fun little hot hatch.

I did all 4 new genuine SAAB (TRW) ball joints tonight, and the car is riding better than ever. If you haven't replaced the ball joints on your c900, I cannot recommend it enough! The car has felt OK with the Koni's and SPG springs, but I had noticed more clunks and bumps lately. With all new BJ's the car is super tight and quiet.

Hoping to get the oil leak fixed very soon and a fresh tune on the T5. Plan is for lots of miles this fall!

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
I don't know how I overlooked this build back when you started it, but props for keeping it up for this long. I was looking back towards the beginning of this thread. The car looks awesome! Makes me want a 900. Keep the updates and pics coming!

821 - 840 of 846 Posts