Saab Link Forums banner

801 - 820 of 846 Posts

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #802 ·
Are you getting a 3" exhaust built?
At least a 3" DP and I bought a 3" resonator to go about where the cat was. I may taper back to a 2.5" after that though... not quite sure yet on a rear muffler/tail pipe setup.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #805 ·
Possibly Sam. I was supposed to get set up with a welder/fabricator dude down in Mass last year and never had the time/money.

My downpipe will utilize the ATP "ultimate" WG housing though and 3" V bands, so that's an additional cost to consider for you if you in fact want to do an "identical" setup. Then like I said, I'm deleting the cat and plan to run a 3" resonator in place about where the cat was then another rear muffler before the axle. I really am hoping to keep things pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Would also be in for a 3" DP and some sort of catback for my 85, I'm in northern CT so if you end up w/someone in Mass, let me know.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #807 ·
I will start the conversation with the fabricator soon and see what he thinks. I know he was going to make up jigs for 9-5 systems a couple years ago, but then found them extremely easy to just make on the fly. Maybe if he at least could do a jig for 3" DP's?

Again, my plan is to eliminate the 2 primary choke points as I see them. 1 being the factory elbow, which requires relocation of the battery. 2 is the factory WG and 3 bolt housing. The ATP "ultimate" WG is not cheap, but for the price I figure it's a good "while you're in there" sorta thing, and will be nice in that it uses a 3" v-band so if you ever need to work on anything or pull the DP/motor it would makes things extra easy.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #808 ·
I just saw the eeuro is selling these...

SAAB Sport Exhaust Kit (Cat-back) - Skandix 1004719 - Free Shipping

might be a nice option behind a custom 3" DP and my resonator pipe in place of the cat? But would a resonator and then this "sport" muffler be TOO quiet? I don't want loud...

I haven't had an exhaust system made in awhile, but this might be cheaper than going custom? At least after the cost of finding a nice muffler that won't be too loud and then having a stainless twin tailpipe made??? (I am a HUGE fan of the twin pipe!)

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
Catbacks are about that price to have made and fit to the car anywhere, however its worth having a whole system done. that way you can get nice v-bands as the connection type, and you know the fit is perfect for the car (IE not hanging to low, or banging the rear axel)

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #811 ·
Yeah I'm kind of on the fence, the only apprehension I have going custom all the way is noise... I've had lots of custom systems over the years and they were all on the loud side. It would be easy to add a v-band or 2 to this and make it a totally modular system. But I dunno

Working on the 85 a bit today. Getting ready to relocate the battery, looks like I will probably have to have a - cable made to utilize factory grounds, not sure if that's necessary though? The factory + cable I think will work fine just by switching the short lead the the starter and long lead to distribution point on the fender.

Also going to replace the VC gasket and put on the old valve cover I had originally painted and polished almost 3 years ago. I can't believe I had this car that long!

I also emailed Dennis Lin (Squaab) and he is going to hook me up with one of his CPS upgrade kits that allows for timing adjustment at the trigger wheel. That way I can get the tuning really dialed in!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #812 ·
So maybe sad to say, but I did my first ever valve cover gasket yesterday, haha. Not that I'm lazy, I've just never had one leak before! I struggled a bit getting the gasket to stay in the VC when flipping it over, even with sealant at the corners. So I finally opted for the dental floss trick and that helped me get it in place with ease. Better looking VC is on now.

Tonight I'm going to start checking lengths on the battery cables to see if they'll reach or if I just need to opt for fresh cables.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I also emailed Dennis Lin (Squaab) and he is going to hook me up with one of his CPS upgrade kits that allows for timing adjustment at the trigger wheel. That way I can get the tuning really dialed in!
Once I got my timing dialed in, the clutch started slipping at the same boost and I picked up 7mpg. Timing is everything.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #814 ·
^I'm looking forward to it Nate! Good thing I have that upgraded mid year 9k turbo clutch setup!!!

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #815 ·
Plugging away on the 85. Got the battery flipped to the driver's side and all wired up. Used a ground on the driver's fender as the stock cable wouldn't make it to the factory ground under the turbo. Car started and ran fine. Just need to come up with some sort of tie-down to keep the battery in place over there. Also got the nice aluminum fuel rail in to replace the cruddy old metal one I've had for the last 2 years, looks MUCH nicer!

I've really been wanting to get it on the road, but we've got more snow/sleet/ice on the way tonight and I'm sure DOT will be out spreading salt all over again. I've seen lots of people with summer type cars out including my neighbor in his old Ford hot rod. I just can't bring myself to do it even in my old SAAB. I know once the salt finds its way into all the nooks and crannies it will never come out. Patience is a virtue. Maybe after it finally rains on Friday and cleans the roads off?

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #816 ·
Got out for a little spin yesterday and again today. Today was just to get some fresh gas in the tank. Car ran well for being off the road for roughly 5 months. I didn't seem to have forgotten anything in relocating the battery and swapping the fuel rail. New valve cover gasket it not leaking as well, so that is a good thing!

The car still is a bit jerky, and I know know know the timing is off. I should have the CPS update kit from Dennis soon, then it's just a matter of setting up the time with MikeD to get it installed and dialed. I know it's going to make a world of difference.

Nevertheless, it felt GREAT to get back in the c900. I saw stares and heard compliments from passers by while cruising through town. Always feels great to roll in a c900.

*I'm sure the stares and comments were 1/100th of what B202nut got on his N/A auto vert*

Also ordered up some new rear rotors and pads. I have 1 side that's been not really doing much, hoping it doesn't need a new caliper, but if it does they are at least cheap enough.

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #817 ·
Began tackling the rear brakes and also a few other pesky little projects. While I was on the rear passenger side I decided to fix a loose bolt on the trailing arm that had been rattling around for some time. I managed to strip the lock nut when installed Adam's axle relocation kit, and have just been rolling with it. It held fine, but with the slop it was clunking annoyingly. I tried every tool in my box and even bent a few wrenches and tried to go custom, but nothing would fit in without dropping the fuel tank. So low and behold, I busted the nut on the strap to the fuel tank :( It was totally covered in undercoating and I think there was no way the nut was coming lose. But now I've got to dismantle the strap and get a new J bolt on there. Hopefully it's an easy task, but again... the undercoating! At least the strap itself is fine. Oh, and the brake job was a piece of cake.

In other news Dennis's adjustable trigger wheel setup came. Hoping get that put in this week if my garage stays dry and it warms up a bit (we were in the upper 30's today). A friend has a timing light and hopefully I can get on the right track to getting things really dialed in!

Finally the same buddy mentioned above has offered to help me fab up a DP. I figure for a few bucks in mandrel bends and an afternoon (plus probably 12-18 PBR's) we should be able to come up with something halfway decent. He isn't set up to weld stainless, but if we get a nice one built with aluminized pipe, it would be easy to take somewhere and have it all replicated in stainless if I opt to eventually go that route.

Pics coming in the next few days

·
Registered
3,604 Posts
Discussion Starter · #818 ·
Few project tackled, sorry no real pics.

Rear brakes done.

Rear trailing arms finally tightened up and no longer rattling around.

Most importantly I got the upgraded adjustable adapter kit for the shutter wheel installed, and what a difference it made! The car immediately ran better, like night and day. It was't bad before, just not right (twitchy, inconsistent boost, poor fuel mileage). Now everything feels super smooth and the car is a rocket! Looking at where the old wheel lined up at TDC, I figure I was about 10 degrees off on the timing!!! I set the new wheel adjusted all the way out one way, and when I installed it the CPS is lined up dead on at the 20th tooth on the wheel. The car runs so well now it just rips right through the short gears with my type 6's... Type 7's are finally on the list of to do's.

Still a few projects to conquer: DP/exhaust, oil leak at the pump housing, type 7's, and then hopefully just driving/maintaining!

Needs a clay bar and wax and I should be DD'ing very soon.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Man I wish my car was as rust free and t5ed. With type 6s, 3rd gear on must be nothing but savage acceleration. But yeah, first and second gear are like towing a trailer gears even with type 7s I've always felt.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Few project tackled, sorry no real pics.

Rear brakes done.

Rear trailing arms finally tightened up and no longer rattling around.

Most importantly I got the upgraded adjustable adapter kit for the shutter wheel installed, and what a difference it made! The car immediately ran better, like night and day. It was't bad before, just not right (twitchy, inconsistent boost, poor fuel mileage). Now everything feels super smooth and the car is a rocket! Looking at where the old wheel lined up at TDC, I figure I was about 10 degrees off on the timing!!! I set the new wheel adjusted all the way out one way, and when I installed it the CPS is lined up dead on at the 20th tooth on the wheel. The car runs so well now it just rips right through the short gears with my type 6's... Type 7's are finally on the list of to do's.
QUOTE]

That's what I found. I was never happy with the timing and the way it just didn't feel right. I bugged Dennis for a couple of years to make an change to his wheel to add adjustability. Once it was dialed in it was like the three bears...just right.

801 - 820 of 846 Posts