Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. It's been a few years since I put my koni's together, so I don't quite remember how it all went together.
I started noticing a clunking recently coming from my front drivers side. Turns out the bolt that goes up through the bottom of the strut housing was loose. If I grabbed the wheel and give it a good shaking, you could see that bolt and washer slide around a little. Today at lunch I pulled things apart to try and tighten it back up. Well, the bolt just spins. With a socket on the top of the strut housing I was able to snug things up a little, but it's still noisy and the bottom bolt still just spins. It's definitely better since I can't make things move by shaking the wheel anymore, but it still doesn't feel right.
Anyone have an idea what the problem could be? A simple fix or am I going to have to pull apart the strut assembly to remedy this? Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had this trouble with dozens of Strut Inserts over the years and the best way i have found is to apply a bead or two of Silicone Sealant:eek:(like this one below)around the base of the Insert before it's inserted into the Strut Housing and a little around the Thread of the Bolt before you screw it into the Insert and it will never come loose or Rattle again.
Now, before we all jump on the "WhhhaaaaaattttTTTT!,No Thread Reatainer(Loctite) Bandwagen i have tried Loctite on the Bolt and it fails(All Thread Retainers are a Scam)and plus you need to support the base of the Insert inside the Housing.
Sorry bout' that where were we?, I have also come accross loose Insert bolts when Servicing Vehicles and as a quick fix i place a Block of wood under the Tyre/Wheel and remove the Bolt, clean it and wipe a little Silicone Sealant around it and pop it back in, this will at least keep the Bolt nipped up.
Goodluck.Cheers

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.