Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well i decided to share my mod plans for the winter. The 36# injectors and new upper engine mount went in over thanksgiving break. AFC is still a work in progress (read the other thread) and now its on to the good stuff. Thanks to PaulH ill have a non turbo intake manifold and intake cam. The non turbo manifold should be good for a bunch of torque and some power i think. The intake cam from what ive read will give a 3 degree overlap of intake and exhaust, thus giving a good deal better pickup when not under boost. Might try out the manifold with the non turbo fuel rail tho cuz im not sure how hard the brackets to remount the turbo one will be. Also im ordering myself a downpipe for xmas finally...hopefully santa will bring the 3 inch cat and muffler so i can get that finished. Last but not least, depending on cash i may have either a new front mount intercooler (hopefully 700-800cfm) or a strutbar (since genuinesaab actually carries them now) Other than that i wont be doing much else until the car goes back on the road some time in the spring...

any tips/advice/criticism is welcome lol...later

·
Registered
12 Posts
Hi!
Going from a Turbo to a NA intake manifold is pointless.
The intake cam aswell at your "power level".
Sorry for my "swenglish" :wink:
Regards Marko

·
7,595 Posts
not "pointless" at all- the increased manifold length is well knows to increase throttle response and torque. as you say it's not going to do much for "power" if by that you mean horse power- you are correct, it won't but there ARE advantages to the n/a manifold which I just mentioned.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the point of the manifold along with th ebigger turbo is more air for more power. It was an idea i saw on kevin yanktons 9000 and he said it was a noticeable difference. I dont see how it could be pointless to have a higher flow of forced air to the engine...sounds good to me in my theory atleast.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
stevehayes01 said:
I know that on a C900 if you use a n/a or Turbo 2.1 or 2.3 manifold on a 2.0 you get lots of torque out of it. I have ridden in a C900 that had 2.1L N/A cams and a 2.1L Intake mated to a 2.0L motor and it pulled like a mule in low RPM's. Not sure if this rates the same for the 9K's though but I would think it would.
thats exactly the point of this manifold swap, if you look at that manifold compared to the turbo one the size difference is HUGE. I'd be willing to bet that it will be good for at least a few ft/lbs of torque across the powerband, but hey, we'll see soon enough 8) .

Paul

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
speaking of which paul....you need to get on aim sometimw so we can arrange this stuff...cuz in case you read this i cant go to the yards tomorrow...ill have to go nextweek sometime

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
yeah we were gonna try to go to ones up our way tomorrow...i need an AIC valve, that backup exhaust manifold, 2 more steelies, and as much of a good a/c system as i can get...plus whatever else i can find....

dunno when were gonna go now tho

·
Registered
12 Posts
The turbo manifold works fine in my 500 hp.
A friend of mine has the same manifold in his 600hp car - works fine.
He actually tried the NA manifold some years ago - changed back to the turbo one.

Regards Marko

·
Registered
12 Posts
stevehayes01 said:
I would think that the N/A cam would give a slightly longer duration and would give a slight amount of extra power here.

What is the lobe duration differences in the 2 cams?
NA:
INT 13 BTDC/53 ABDC
EXH 48 BBDC/18 ATDC

Turbo:
INT 14 BTDC/46 ABDC
EXH 44 BBDC/16 ATDC

Turbo cams with proper adjustment works fine untill at least 350hp.

Regards Marko

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well with no means of adjusting stock cams...i'll be going with a non-turbo...thanks for the numbers tho

UPPDATE: i got zero work done over the3 weeks ive been home ...read the "I HATE FEDEX" thread so i dont have to retype it all....long story short...lack of one part screws up all plans...and now i probably wont make the custom tuning day with frank cuz none of the stage three parts will be on my car :evil: :x :cry:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts