Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This morning on my way into work I noticed an STI as I got onto the on ramp so I pulled in behind him. I see him from time to time in the morning and am pretty sure the car is stock.

We merged into traffic and were cruising along when a black Prelude Type SH whipped in between the STI and me. It looked stock as well, definitely a 5 speed. The Prelude started jerking around like he wanted to race the STI. I don't think he even noticed my car at first. We cruised along pretty quickly for a few miles, nothing crazy but I did see 100 once or twice when the road was clear. It was fun but the guy in the Prelude was driving kind of erratically. This guy's car may not have been riced out, but he drove like a ricer if you know what I mean.

Right before my exit the Lude pulled out around the STI with a crazy maneuver and then pulled off on the exit ramp. At this point he was about 12-15 car lengths ahead of me because I had been slowing down for the exit ramp.

I took the bait and pulled hard up hard behind him on the long sweeping exit ramp. (Exit 8 off I-90 heading west for those familiar with the capital district). We pulled up next to each other at the red light at the end of the ramp. The light turned green and it was on. He had a little better reaction time, but also had some tire spin. I hooked up pretty well and pulled ridiculously hard on him. By about 60mph he was over half a car length behind me with absolutely no hopes of catching up. We had to slow down for the light.

I’ll chalk it up as a win.

·
Registered
461 Posts
ahahaha preludes. Silly cars....I saw this flash commercial a prelude owner made and I kid you not this was his opening line "For all the non-believers check out this horsepower" it shows his prelude dynoing at 180 whp. All I could think was still not impressed and whoop de freakin do for him.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
saabvos said:
not to say preludes are good or bad but 180whp from a N/A car is pretty good
Yeah when you say it like that it doesn't sound bad.......

2001 Prelude SH
Horsepower: 200 bhp @ 7000 rpm <-----------Peaky
Torque: 156 lb-ft @ 5250 rpm <---------- :roll:

·
Registered
461 Posts
Correct it doesn't sound that bad, but I am still not impressed. I have a thing against most people who drive and rice out civics,preludes, and accords. Its not because they are not good cars because I know civics last a long freaking time and take quite a beating. I am bitter because in my state of Utah these cars are like poo crusties. Every dirty @$$%^&* has one and its like an endless pissing constest for them. But I am sure there are some respectable honda owners out there who wouldn't flash the money sign at me or cut me off. Yeah so I think I've said more then I needed to, but at least you now know my beef/ pet peeve.

·
Registered
352 Posts
that hp for a N/A car is good, i agree with you that some drivers just suck but it's pure coincidence that they happen to drive civics, preludes, and the like....it's the person not the car

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
you only beat him by half a car length? that isn't all that great dude, be it as a kill, and you may live by the motto "a win is a win, doesn't matter by how much" i always look at both sides to see how close it was, maybe you were having a good day, and he a bad, it isn't all in the cars, it's mostly the drivers.

~justin

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
saabguy said:
you only beat him by half a car length? that isn't all that great dude, be it as a kill, and you may live by the motto "a win is a win, doesn't matter by how much" i always look at both sides to see how close it was, maybe you were having a good day, and he a bad, it isn't all in the cars, it's mostly the drivers.

~justin
A half a car length isn't much in a quarter mile, this race was only up to 65-70.
I got a better launch and pulled on him hard.
So is my car faster, or am I a better driver? You decide.

·
Registered
1,140 Posts
car is faster, he got a better reaction time you said, that would make him more responsive, maybe he doesn't shift as well, but i bet he was yelling "vtec" inbetween shifts. :wink:
i forgot it wasn't distance, and only just to 60ish, my bad

if any of you are interested in racing a jeep grand cherokee, i have a friend that says he can beat any saab, and i believe him

~justin

·
Registered
363 Posts
Yes the prelude isn't that bad of a car. I will think a little bit before playing with one. If i modded my car I wouldn't think as much.

I was in my dads covnertable once, one went to pass on the right at about 75mph. I just floored it in 5th and took him up to 120. I backed off b/c of wet roads and shitty tires......and fear of wrecking my dads car. BUT my friend (behind me) saw the lude shift twice tryin to get around me (3rd-4th, 4th-5th).

The convertable is a C900T with red-box APC holding about 17psi. Fancy these turbo thingys. :wink: .

Ian

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
haha that just reminded me of an encounter with a prelude that i had. it was in my old 89 vert, had a lightly tweaked apc, i think like 12 or 13psi and a cone filter. The prelude came up on me on the NJ turnpike, i was on the way back from Six Flags with 3 other people in the car and the top down, i did just about the same thing you did, just rolled on the throttle in 5th and pulled away 8) you cant mess with a c900 on they highway like that (unless it has no 5th gear :oops: ).

Paul

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
saabguy said:
if any of you are interested in racing a jeep grand cherokee, i have a friend that says he can beat any saab, and i believe him

~justin
why what does he have done to his jeep?

and my prelude story(s) with two other guys in the car i pulled up next to an older body prelude on the freeway, exhaust, huge tac, body kit, the works...he was with his lady..(these are my favorites) and i just flat out smoked hime TWICE! and after the second time i rolled down my tinted windows to reveal the two other guys in the car...hahaha..oh im an ass

the other time a new prelude sh pulled next to ....my female friend driving my car.... (dont ask)..and i said race him...so she reved it at the light and for about 2-3 stop light launches he won by about 1/2 a car length...his car sounded NICE!! all engine vtec nice...anyways...i told her she was a horible driver and thats why we lost...but we will never know...haha

·
Registered
9 Posts
Well you can coun't me in as the respectable Honda Prelude driver ! I treat it just like my previous Saab which I had to sell because it was literally swallowing my bank account. My little Red 91 Sr has an healthy 140 hp and 137 of torque, and NO it doesn't all just come at redline which is nice. It is in great shape with very low milage. Now wheres my C900 T to add to my collection :p

http://www3.telus.net/public/a4a42633/lude-2.jpg

all stock and not ricey !, it has a ricer exhaust which I am removing ! and replacing with oem.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
RedRocket are you aware that some of those older Preludes had all wheel steering? I'm not sure what models though.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
yeah actually all of the preludes after that generation had the four wheel steering, only came on the Si's iirc and even then, not all of em. my freind one, pretty nice little car, looked like shit tho it had been painted with flat white spray paint :lol: . i however did get to drive that car and i must say that thing was like a go-cart you could make a 180 degree turn on a 2 lane road at like 30mph :shock: seriously very difficult to get used to but not a bad little car.

Paul

1 - 17 of 17 Posts