Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is it possible to convert a pre '94 block with a T5 head and run Trionic 5.5? Ive searched up a bit, but never found anything. The most I found was converting lh2.4 to Trionic 5.2. I guess the cam sensors are different between 89-93 and post '94.

A '96 Saab 9000 aero I'm looking at has blowby and has sat for 3 years. So I was just thinking maybe using a pre '94 block (91 turbo to be exact) and my Aero head, and cams. And retaining my Trionic 5.5.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
You would have to do the same mods as you would have to do to fit a T5 head to a C900 block. And yes, CPS is different so you'd have to either come up with a way to mount the 60-2 T5.5 trigger wheel to the early block, or run T5.2, which seems silly since the whole car is already set up with T5.5 parts.

If it's just blowby but still runs the block is probably ok and it could easily be re-ringed, maybe just used pistons, which can be done without taking out the engine anyway. Way less work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the speedy reply. Thats kind of what I was figuring. Ill just go price out a set of rings then. I just wanted a spare block to build up for a possible E30 swap in the future.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
My advice would be don't buy anything before you take it apart to see what's wrong. If you dig into it and the whole thing is trashed (or you find the problem is something else entirely) you don't need those parts sitting around.

Rings are cheap though, sub-$100, but if you have the rods and pistons out it's a good idea to do all the bottom end bearings and have the head re-done at the very least since it's all apart anyway, and balance shaft and timing chain parts if they're worn.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm trying to get the car up and running with as minimal downtime as possible. The car belongs to a buddy of mine, and he offered it to me for a stellar price. So im just trying to get it on the road asap.

·
Registered
243 Posts
You would have to do the same mods as you would have to do to fit a T5 head to a C900 block. And yes, CPS is different so you'd have to either come up with a way to mount the 60-2 T5.5 trigger wheel to the early block, or run T5.2, which seems silly since the whole car is already set up with T5.5 parts.

If it's just blowby but still runs the block is probably ok and it could easily be re-ringed, maybe just used pistons, which can be done without taking out the engine anyway. Way less work.
Drew Im getting ready to redo the head on my 1996 9000CS and wanted to do the piston rings but didn't want to pull the whole motor can you tell me how you can get those out without pulling the whole motor please?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Remove cylinder head, oil pan, remove connecting rod big end bearing caps and push pistons out the top of the block (be very careful not to scratch the cylinder bores with the big ends of the rods, a helper working up top makes this much easier), then follow the instructions in this thread to inspect and replace the main bearings one at a time:

http://www.saablink.net/forum/general-ng900-old-9-3-posts-information/49887.htm

·
Registered
243 Posts
Remove cylinder head, oil pan, remove connecting rod big end bearing caps and push pistons out the top of the block (be very careful not to scratch the cylinder bores with the big ends of the rods, a helper working up top makes this much easier), then follow the instructions in this thread to inspect and replace the main bearings one at a time:

http://www.saablink.net/forum/general-ng900-old-9-3-posts-information/49887.htm
Thanks Drew very informative as always. You just took away my worry of doing the head and getting it really tunned and the piston rings being bad.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Don't stop worrying yet, there's a lot more than can go wrong when you start throwing more power at it! ;)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
It sounds like you're on an path to just fix engine in the '96.

For the sale of discussing the original plan-- aren't there physical differences between the '91-'93 and the '94 blocks that would prevent a later transmission from fitting to the earlier engine?

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Also that, you're correct. The bellhousing bolt pattern is totally different, and maybe the torque tube mounting brackets.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts

t5.5 and 5.2 have remarkably few differences these days, mot 5.5 parts are very easy to make run with 5.2 software

i would think about finding a whole t5.5 drivetrain and plopping it in, i know where there is a good one now in a runnign car that will give you everything you need

·
Registered
243 Posts
Don't stop worrying yet, there's a lot more than can go wrong when you start throwing more power at it! ;)
What else would you recommend doing then Drew. Im going to replace all the bearings no matter what when I do it because I don't want to have to do it again later and the car has 228K miles on it already. At the same time Im getting the head redone and replacing the springs and all the seals.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
^^ See post #4 above. Pretty much anything that is really difficult or impossible to get to when it's all together that would require complete disassembly again.

Bottom end bearings, balance shaft and timing chain guides, drive sprockets and tensioners if they are worn (or do the balance shaft chain delete, search here for info on that), the oil pump o-ring, front main seal, oil pickup tube o-ring, clean and inspect the oil pressure relief valve, the o-ring for the oil level sensor. I probably forgot something, but that's most of it.

If this is just going to be a cheap driver just replace what's broken. If you intend to tune it and beat on it for a few years without anything breaking do at least all that stuff, and maybe consider pulling the engine to actually get it re-freshed (at least cylinders honed, maybe bored over for next size up forged pistons, crank journals polished, and then it's already apart so you can do a new clutch, rear main seal and slave cylinder.)

It's all about what you want to do with it and what your budget is. There are some things that don't make sense to put off till 6 months or a year down the road if it means having to tear the entire engine back apart to get to them (like the balance shaft and timing chains.)

·
Registered
1,665 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
My Audi would probably light on fire by the time I crossed the border of Minnesota and Wisconsin.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts