Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
My 1997 900S just popped the power steering hose, the metal part, directly under the battery at the bottom of the engine bay where it turns to the right..It rusted through..Two questions..1) Can I install a short piece of high pressure rubber hose in that line? what is the pressure on that line..and 2) will hose clamps hold it if I can get the high pressure non metal hose installed..has anyone done this..The OEM hose is $217.00 and I don't want to do that just yet.
TIA, Howard

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
you need a piece of pipe, "Steel" or Stainless fuel pipe works, and two Brass compression fittings from Ace hardware or a real auto parts store, Hose clamps won't hold the high side pressure of the power steering.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks harvey..I thought that might be the case..so that pipe is 3/8 in and not 10mm?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well gang, I repaired my power steering hose yesterday in between snow storms..I ended up cutting the 10 mm pipe just above the rusted hole..then I cut the pipe that goes into the steering pump about 4 inches from the pump..I bought 4 feet of 3/8 copper pipe at the hardware store, and two compression connectors..I modified one end of the connector by using my dremel grinder and opened the diameter of the fitting to 10 mm.I did this on one end of both connectors..then I connected the fittings to the two 10 mm tubes on the car and ran the copper pipe along the chassis at the bottom of the radiator and up to the steering pump..I tightened the fittings, filled the resovoir and started it up..No leaks and I have power steering again..Life is good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts