Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Driving home Thursday night, my car had a 1/4 second long power loss. Felt like a tiny fuel cut. It was so random and unlike my car that I thought maybe I ran over a pothole or something. Then it happened again about 10 minutes later. Happened Friday too, just once but a little bit more "pop" to it but hasn't happened since.

Is this a sign of impending DI failure? Or could it be something more ominous?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, I'll give that a try. Just a question though: what would happen during the plug's lifetime that would cause the gap to change?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
I had one customer in with something like this happening on a Viggen and it stumped us for a long time. The DI cassette connector had one pin that had started to corrode, and then overheated and was intermittently breaking contact with the pin in the cassette. Any of the electrical connectors the pins should be shiny and clean - if they're crusty or discolored you've found a potential issue.

Usually there is nothing in the 9-3/9-5's that will give this little instant cutout, the symptom of the crank sensor failing is that the engine will die completely when it's hot and then not re-start till you let it sit for 30-40 minutes, but I suppose that could cause it.

I would start checking electrical connectors and ground leads and see where that gets you.

Drew

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I'm thinking it maybe the same thing that also happened to my brothers Viggen....but check and take care of the easy/more obvious things first.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Do you guys take the DI's apart to inspect them...? I did not think anyone did that...I opened one up one time and cleaned it with electrical cleaners and it worked fine for another few months...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Okay, I'll give that a try. Just a question though: what would happen during the plug's lifetime that would cause the gap to change?
wear - it's normal. The spark wears down the electrode over time - and to correct this you adjust the ground terminal to close. In turn the spark is more efficient once again and you gain the lost power back. Now - if the electrode is worn beyond use, then replacement is a given. How old are your plugs?

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
They were replaced at the 90k service... about 17k miles ago. I'll also get a new set of plugs just in case... on the way in to work this morning it did 4 times, the first time being the worst, the following ones less and less so. Funfunfun.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The car left me stranded this afternoon -- for about 1/2 hour it wouldn't start. Then I thought about what DrewP said and I let it sit. It started up, I drove it home (about 5 minutes) parked it, tried to start it wouldn't catch. I'm guessing that Drew's right about the crank position sensor.

Question is, will it make it to my mechanic tomorrow morning about 25 minutes away?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Sounds like a likely culprit.

You might be pushing it trying to make it to your mechanics, but if you're adventurous it may be worth a shot and sure as hell cheaper then a tow.

The good thing is it will be stone cold in the AM. However it will heat soak fairly quickly.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where is the CPS located? Easy to change out?

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
On the front of the engine. It's under a little metal heat shield. If you are looking at the header, it's to the right of that, and down. Well, that's where it was on my 9-3.

It's held in by one torx bolt. Pretty easy fix.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
If you have a decent tool selection I'd rank it about a 2.5 wrench out of 5 job - it's not too hard, but can be a PITA if there is a lot of rust...

Sounds like the CPS based on current symptoms!

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Car won't start. Awesome.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
AAA wrecker is on it's way.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Grrr...I was trying to find the info on using a small light bulb and connecting it to the DI connector...I cannot remember what numbers to connect the wires too...anyway, this will tell you where the problem is coming from depending on how many flashes you get from the bulb...it works flawless checks for Ignition, Fuel, Vacuum, etc issues...I will keep looking

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Car is at the mechanic's. He's thinking more along the lines of it being the fuel pump because it didn't start up this morning when the engine was cold. :mad:

Got a ride to the garage in the wrecker with a nice guy who is a veteran of Iraq, Kosovo, and Kuwait. Maybe 30 years old. On the front lines in the infantry in each country. Got sent home when his striker went over a mine and removed the back end of the vehicle. The concussion from the explosion snapped his head forward into the periscope and broke his neck. Hangman's fracture. Quite a story at 8:00 am on a Wednesday.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well, turns out there was a wire that had been rubbed bare of its insulation by friction with some sand and dirt between it and the firewall. As it touched the firewall, it shorted the CPS. Replaced the wire, replaced CPS. Car runs like a champ. *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Well at least it was an easy fix...and hopefully easy on the wallet.

Glad to hear it is back on the road!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts