Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, my power antenna kinda works on my '91 c900. I was wondering what I have to do to fix it? What it does is, in cold weather it goes up about an inch to 3 inches. In warm weather maybe 5 or 6 inches. But they is one whole section that is completely seized, and I have to pull the rest up the rest of the way, and I can't even get that seized part unseized. So, what do I have to do to replace that whole antenna assembly? The motor is good, I just need a new antenna itself. I can get one on thesaabsite.com

I think I just need this one, part # 0254391

http://www.thesaabsite.com/900old/c900antennamast.htm

Thanks for your guys' help!!

·
Registered
2,014 Posts
You can also consider the aftermarket one, save a few bucks. For one C900, I got a non-motorized antenna from a local auto shop for $10, solved the problem.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Maybe you want to keep it as simple as possible, but if you want to make things more complicated ;) you may wish to consider upgrading to a center roof-mount Viggen-style whip antenna. I plan to post links on what sources I've found there for this little project. Seriously, your motorized antenna is a complicated little beast, and will eventually die on you.

http://www.saablink.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1305&highlight=antenna&page=3

·
Registered
85 Posts
To replace just the antenna mast (this is from memory):

You could probably find just the antenna mast on eBay for $20. Dealer charged me $75 for it a few years back. To replace: turn your car ignition to turn on your radio. Then tuck the plastic end of the antenna into the hole at the top of the motor and push it down as far as it can go. Then turn off your radio, and the motor should suck the antenna down. It would probably be better to have somebody feed the antenna and hold it while you turn off the radio to suck it in.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok this will help. the only thing I'm thinking of is going through a car wash and breaking the one that stays up all the time, clean off. Will this happen?

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How hard is it to install a little shark fin antenna? I like the look of those. Can I just use the same antenna hook up in the back?

·
Registered
85 Posts
ok this will help. the only thing I'm thinking of is going through a car wash and breaking the one that stays up all the time, clean off. Will this happen?
Unfortunately, that does happen on occasion. The whip antennas can be unscrewed, though. New vehicle antennas, like my Subie, have a roof-mount that rotates and so can be pushed out of the way easily.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
ok, what about those little shark fin antennas?

·
Registered
474 Posts
My question, that relates to this is, how can I disable the power antenna. I'm going the cheapo route right now by listening to my phone through a fm transmitter, and well all I know is on my 99' 9-3 it was better when the antenna was down. But it doesn't seem as simple as pulling back the cover in the trunk and undoing a wire.

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
My question, that relates to this is, how can I disable the power antenna. I'm going the cheapo route right now by listening to my phone through a fm transmitter, and well all I know is on my 99' 9-3 it was better when the antenna was down. But it doesn't seem as simple as pulling back the cover in the trunk and undoing a wire.
pull back the cover in the trunk and undo the wire. Easy.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so, can anyone else give me some advice on putting a shark fin antenna on it?

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
do people still listen to the radio? Just push it down and unplug the motor...

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do cause I love music, I do love the sound of a 16-valve 4 cyl SAAB engine though too.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
could I spray some WD-40 on the antenna and just move it back and forth till it gets lubed up? Basically the section just stick to each other which is the problem.

·
Registered
1,375 Posts
ya just do that if its just getting abit sticky....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts