Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found a 96 on craigslist today and have heard back from the seller. I'm curious what I should be asking about ? What are common problem areas that I should be concerned with?

·
Registered
2,451 Posts
Rust, Rust and more rust. Take the front carpets/mats out and remove the wood and check for rust at the fire wall. Lift up the rear seat and check for rust where the control arms bolt to the body. Check for rust in the trunk by the shocks and in front. Also if the car runs and drives drive it and listen for whine from the trans, especially in 2nd gear. Also notice if the speedometer needle goes way down when lifting off the power, sign of trans work needed soon.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Freewheel, a lot of them have been disabled by now, ask about it.

Which carb is on it? Does it have automatic or manual choke? Does it work?

Brakes can be a little finicky, should stop straight under decently hard braking (even when everything is working they don't stop awesome - the tires are as wide as a deck of cards....)

Check all the rubber sealing around the windows and such, they can be hard to find.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.