Saab Link Forums banner

Posting to the UK

405 views 14 replies 7 participants last post by  Samuel L Bronkowitz 
#1 ·
Hey Guys,

I'm looking at ordered some of my Stage 4 tuning essentials from over the pond (United States of ..Duhmerica - name that movie!) and was wondering if anyone can offer any help and/or advice so I don't get abused by our overzealous Customs.

At the moment (inc shipping) I can save well over (£70/$110ish) on the Siemans injectors and the same again on a 3 Bar Map sensor compared to buying here in the UK.

Any experiences on how to dodge the dreaded customs costs and tax? I have been quite lucky in the past but, that was with clothing and not car parts!

Kthxbai!!! :D

#3 ·
This is what can be a problem. I had a friend who worked for an American Car spares who imported parts in from the US and getting bits dropped over as part of a shipment was easy as his company absorbed the costs for me. He did hint that you could try getting the parcel marked as 'Gift' and not getting busted with huge amounts of tax/duty.

The important question is; How good is customer service over there? :D

#4 ·
You can try that, but it's no guarantee that UK customs won't open the package anyway.

But finding someone on here thats willing to put themselves in that position will be tough. We've already been down that road with a Canadian member. It was not a nice road to travel.

#5 · (Edited)
You can try that, but it's no guarantee that UK customs won't open the package anyway.

But finding someone on here thats willing to put themselves in that position will be tough. We've already been down that road with a Canadian member. It was not a nice road to travel.
That's very true Sir. It will be hit and miss but, this could just end up being a matter of principal for me. We pay double, sometimes triple what you guys do and our aftersales leaves a lot to be desired. Also, a saving, not matter how small, is a saving.

Maybe stuff the parts into a toy or something? j/k!!

I think I might of read about the whole canadian experience. I'm just after advice more than asking for someone to be a sacrificial lamb.

#8 ·
You really don't know why governments require taxes and duties on imported goods?

The point is to make it more beneficial for you to buy domestically. Typically the reason someone would import would be because they have found something cheaper that is manufactured or sold elsewhere, the government essentially tries to keep a level paying field for domestic companies by leveling the playing field. In many countries duties are lower on products that the country cannot or does not produce themselves.

That, and the infrastructure and personnel needed for keeping track of and inspecting imported goods certainly isn't free! So, in short, they aren't simply trying to cheat people out of money, they are trying to protect domestic industry and commerce, and pay for making sure nothing is entering the country that shouldn't be!

#12 ·
Example: Petrol - £1.29 per litre... most of that is tax/fuel duty
I lived in Denmark. 60 liters(15 gallons) of fuel cost me 600 Kroner. At the time that was about $100USD. Now, it's about $110USD or 68 quid.

Drove my 9-3 from Denmark to Italy and back. Every time I stopped for fuel it was 70-80 Euros to fill up. Granted, that was premium and it was brand new car.

#13 ·
I would be happy to help, ship stuff to me, then I repack it and label it as a birthday gift, but for some fun reading, look at what happend here a while back.

http://www.saablink.net/forum/off-topic/40567.htm

Somebody over here could pack stuff up, send it out, and then it get held up in customs, then you think we are just trying to screw you.

#14 ·
According to a Norwegian cousin (20 years ago), you went and bought a very nice Mercedes or Porsche in Germany.

You then beat the shit out of the car smashing pumpkins and fenders and ripping up the interior.

Your buddy followed you in a van with all of the replacement parts and when you did your declaration of value at the border it was peanuts.

Of course with a van filled with parts behind you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.