Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I'm very close to purchasing my first Saab. It's a silver 2004 9-3 Linear model with sunroof and a bunch of other fun crap. I live in upstate new York and am going from a 98 corolla to the Saab. I got a great insurance quote and think I can get the vehicle for somewhere around $9500 (it's listed at $9995 through a private used dealer. It only has 57k, which is pretty decent for it's age. My insurance quote is fantastic for the vehicle and I can probably get a more than decent financing option through my bank considering my credit is only average. I loved test driving the vehicle. Now, one of my main concerns is that repairs my suck here and there. Anyone with experience with these vehicles know what the track record is for what I might be replacing and how much of a hassle and headache it will be? It's the most major deterrent for me buying the Saab, because I hate having to pay ridiculous prices for something I feel like I SHOULD be able to do (I'm a DIYer by nature. I feel like cars should fall in that catergory, but without the proper equipment they of course don't)

So, convince me that this is a good choice. I will answer any questions and can even link to the craigslist ad.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
$10k out here gets you an 06/07. Spend a little more and you can find one CPO from a Saab dealer. I would avoid and keep looking.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
North-east pricing isn't the same as Cali.... that being said i don't know much about the values of those cars, but NE pricing tends to be higher.

Hope you get the car!

On the subject of insurance. A friend of mine owns an insurance agency and he says all saabs are insanely cheap to insure compared to most brands. He has no idea why though....

·
10,303 Posts
Still 10G for a base model 2nd year 9-3. That is alot of money. Mileage aside, I wouldn't pay more that $5500 for that car.

But Welcome.

What does Craigslist have to offer? I used to live up thata way.

·
Registered
610 Posts
I don't think I would spend that much for a base 9-3 like others said.
KBB using my zip code says that in excellent condition it would be worth $8,090.
But I wouldn't even spend that much on it.
With the money you have to spend on that 9-3 , I would rather spend it on a nice 9-5 Aero.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How much is that maintenance gonna cost me after I buy a plane ticket from Rochester to dc? I've craigslisted some more and everything's gonna be just out of my price range. We have only two reputable Saab dealers up here and none of them have used. Kbb estimated that the private excellent resale value is around $7250, but this is a used car dealer, so I don't know where they fall. They are asking a little higher than the value but I'm hoping I can negotiate down. There arent currently any 9-5s in my price range around here.

·
10,303 Posts
I will offer my funeral homes parking lot, where I will watch, drink beer, and tell your what you are doing wrong for free on the brakes and oil change. If you hurry, you won't need the AC just yet.

Plane tix look on travelocity or whatever, DCA is Dulles airport, and I forget what Regan National Airport is. BWI is a hike, but may be the cheapest.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Reagan is always more expensive.

And, even if you flew down to D.C., paid for the work at one of the area garages - S&S, Swedish Motor Cars, Viking, etc. - and drove back fueling only with race fuel, you still wouldn't spend $4,750 in the price difference.

Now, if Tweek managed to talk you into going out drinking, you might hit the $4k mark, but, even then, doubtful.

·
10,303 Posts
Not with Thronson at the helm, 2x $4.99 pitchers, 1X Armando's crazy hot wings at 6.99 and at least 2 free shots if the Capitals are winning.

Sorry that the Sabres suck spilger.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
so tell me honestly, what am I looking at for labor costs when fixes come along? Are these things notorious for anything in particular?

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
my opinion has always been that if you plan on spending more than 7k on a car, look somewhere else besides saab. i love them as a cheap reliable DD, but once the cheap part goes away, i would be worryed/

do yourself a favor, spend 5-6k on a slightly older, higher millage 9-5 aero, get it professionally checked out by somebody who knows saabs before you buy it. and probably end up with twice the car, for 1l2 the money

saabs DO require more maintence than a toyota corrola, (my favorite toaster turned automobile) i usually tell people to put 100$ a month aside for maintence and repairs, if it doesn't brake that month, stick in in cookie jar for when the rainy day happens

but you also get a car that rides, handles, and feels so much better. IE just a better car.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts