Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So a man has told my dad about a c900 n/a 5-spd he's trying to sell. He offered the car at a lower price to my father/me first - because he knows us. This guy is honest - he says it has hesitation issues (after I test drive within this week I should be able to tell exactly when this hesitation occurs). But that brings up the question - what could this hesitation be? All I know is my fathers 9-5 had hesitation on acceleration on the highway - and it was just sparkplugs - could it be that simple?

I'll have more details on the car within the week - also if someone has Carfax/a VIN Checker - that'd be awesome, ill get the vin as well when I test drive it.

All I know is (if its a simple fix) I'm getting it - a 92' 900 na hatchback with a 5-speed is a dream right now (if only it was turbo!) but I just need myself a 5-spd.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
if it's a 94 hatchback it's not a c900. hatchbacks ended in 93 with the verts holding over to 94.

as for the hesitation, could be plugs/wires, cap/rotor, timing, air mass meter, or vac leak, among other things.

good luck with it. c900s are a blast, even in NA form. :)

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yea, I'm dumb - for whatever reason put down 94 - it's a 92'.

Yea - I'll hopefully have more of a clue - and to see if the hesitation is really bad when I drive it this week.

And agreed - I currently have a 90' na auto - the n/a is fine - its the auto that's a struggle right now. Haha.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I love the c900 I/my parents have. I want to get a 2-door hatchback 5speed either have it be a N/A or a turbo. That's just what I want for this summer. I'm looking around up here but the 2 I've had inquiries on have disappeared in a matter of 2 days. There is one up here for $600, but the guys first ad said 168,000 miles and his 2nd one (with a price drop) said 148,000 miles. Not to mention the first pic he put up was of his mom's SPG (yes I talked to him. Sounded like he didn't know anything about the car/Saabs in general.) I asked, "is it an SPG like in the picture?" and he said "no that's my moms, this one is a regular saab 900 SG it's not a turbo." ???????? What the crap is a Saab 900 SG? Haha I know, they don't make one. I would like it, but I'm not sure if it would be a good buy. He said it ran and drove 100%, but he said he couldn't send me any pictures. Haha anyway, hopefully you get this one, and hopefully I get one over this spring/summer.

Anyway, as for the hesitation. My parent's/my '91 c900 sedan had this problem. I did the rotor, distributor, plugs, and wires and it's never run so good as it does now that I did those. The plugs and wires were original NGK and they look like they had never been done. There was a lot of carbon tracking in the distributor cap and such, and the spark plugs were very worn and burnt out and all brown and looked even shorted in some places. So I would say that would be the 1st thing to do when you get the car. Also an air filter is another good job to do.

·
Registered
645 Posts
old cars are easy fix, plugs, wires, cap, rotor,fuel filter,vac lines CHECK THE TIMING! and it should be on its way. all in all it costs around 200$ for a decent tune for these cars and your on the road.
if you can, check compression thats a plus, also make sure the rust is minimal and the trans shifts ok.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I'm going to pick this up within the week, the body is in awesome shape, the car is worth the price in parts alone. Expect pics and everything within the week!

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
x2! c900's are tanks! I've been driving mine with little or no problems for the past three years. The normal things that can go wrong like corroded wiring, fuel pump and ignition amplifier are really easy fixes.
Yea my current c900 has been deemed just that - "Swedish Tank". And it's had one or two hiccups but nothing major, in all honesty is just something about these c900's. Their look, feel, and overall quality is just impressive to say the least.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
the other thing about c900s.....the way the engine is mounted (backwards) it has NO torque steer. And the steering rack and their capability in the snow makes them safe to drive in the winter, and AMAZING to drive on the back country roads in the summer. Plus if you take care of the engines, they'll last FOREVER!! Mine's almost to the 270k mile mark. Nothing major has ever gone except a transmission rebuild but that was before I/we (my parents) owned the car.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nevermind this purchase....seemed to have tranny issues..plus I'm probably now going a different route...either my dad's 9-5 or a c900 turbo 5-spd.

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
if you find anything in the area and want me to have a look at it for you, let me know. seeing as i see you're car all over the place and such.

·
Registered
474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
if you find anything in the area and want me to have a look at it for you, let me know. seeing as i see you're car all over the place and such.
I will surely hit you up if I find anything. Thanks for the offer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts