Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
At that price I could not resist.

I have a long scrape from a cone from the driving school last month. I am hoping to select the right pad and compound to get rid of it. For $99, it was less than I would pay a shop to take out the scrape.
Start with the least aggressive option, most likely a finishing polish and pad first. It is always better to have to remove more than to remove too much because one it's gone, it's gone.

Do you already have supplies? A good over the counter polish is Meguiar's Ultimate Compound but there are no good pads in stores. That means you will have to order online which means you might as well get some better polishes at the same time.

Good for a newbie?
Let me just say this; you will be kicking yourself after experiencing how easy it is to polish with a PC. Just read up a little on how polishes work and you are golden.

·
Registered
10,080 Posts
Start with the least aggressive option, most likely a finishing polish and pad first. It is always better to have to remove more than to remove too much because one it's gone, it's gone.

Do you already have supplies? A good over the counter polish is Meguiar's Ultimate Compound but there are no good pads in stores. That means you will have to order online which means you might as well get some better polishes at the same time.

Let me just say this; you will be kicking yourself after experiencing how easy it is to polish with a PC. Just read up a little on how polishes work and you are golden.
All I have is some stuff left from the Mothers prize from the EC magazine shoot lol.

So I will need to pick up some pads and whatnot online.

·
Deez Nutz
15,679 Posts
I have removed cone scuffs on Bruce with some XMT stuff. I'll look at what I used. I think I wrote it down.

I know I used Lake pads, and XMT product, just unsure of what exactly.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Lake Country pads are awesome, the 5.5" flat pads are best for random orbital polishers as you want as much pad contact on the paint as possible. XMT polishes are good but there are many better choices out there these days, ranging from easier more beginner friendly polishes like the Wolfgang Swirl Removal Combo or if you want the best performing polish combo, look into getting some Menzerna Power Finish (po203s) and Super Finish (106fa) along with some orange, white, and grey pads. These will see you through almost any paint situation.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I've been watching it for a while. It was down to $96 last week. Now back up to $99.
yeah i saw the same thing, i should of grabbed it at 96$. ill keep waiting, i want a porter cable so much, then i can get a little more nuts on detailing.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.