Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 1999 9-5 wagon has this huge sensor hanging off the end of the head, and my replacement engine does not.

Can someone identify what this part is? It has a hard non flexible tube coming out of it. (Which I broke off accidentally- it looked to be siliconed in)

I thought at first it was a cam sensor, but why the vacum tube?

Please identify.

Replacement engine has space for it, but is blocked off?

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
That's not a sensor, it's the auxiliary vacuum pump for the brake booster - it came on the 9-5's with automatic transmissions. Swapping it over to your other engine will be a pain, because that plug in the end of the exhaust cam end of the head is hard to get out. Pull the cam cover and you will see the little retaining ring that holds it in, but the two security Torx screws holding it in are really in there tight. You will probably have to use an impact gun to get them broken loose.

Best,
Drew

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I am reading the date stamp correctly on your replacement engine it says, 98. Unless you somehow got one of the really early 95s.

That engine is not from a 9-5.

But I could be wrong.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
They made 1998 9-5's FYI - just not sold here. Some were built in 98' and sold as 99' MY in the US for the first imported. So a 1998 part is not unusual....

Like my 1986 9000 - it's a First year 9000, in the US - they started making them in 1985 for Europe. The first year cars were always funny.

·
10,303 Posts
As Delorean once said, there is a reason those torx are tamper proof. You might be better off removing the exhaust cam (adding some t5 ones while you are at it) and pound it out from the inside out.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts