Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I was wondering if I could fit/install a Pioneer head unit in my '91 c900. I'm looking at installing something like this. Thanks!!

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
i have an older version of that one in my c900, but with a green display. it was a while back, but i think crutchfield supplied the needed wiring harness.

it's a nice unit. personally, i think the wheel should be on the other side. when turning it, your right hand blocks the view of the display (from the driver's seat anyway), which is stupid.

if you're still running the original speakers in your 91, you'll need those, too.

if it were me, i'd do the speakers first. if your main goal is to play an iPod, you can do so with the stock deck and a tape player adapter.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ya I'm already playing my ipod through the cassette adapter, I just would really like a CD player, and a more modern interface.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Recommendation: Whatever you get for a headunit, check Crutchfield for adapter kits. They usually have just about everything imaginable, and literally allows the HU to plug right in with no splicing required.

Good luck in whatever you go with!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Any 1 DIN unit should work. You'll have to remove the radio and cage though I'm sure. Just get a coat hanger and make two u-shaped tools and stick them in the holes on each side of the radio. When they're fully depressed, the stock unit should slide right out.

Alsom, even if you can't get an adapter kit, it's easy enough to look at the wiring diagram for the new harness and splice/connect into existing wires. What I would advise is throwing out your stock 900 speakers and just run new speakers AND speaker wire all throughout the car.

For speakers, I would advise you get component speakers for the front dash (which would give you a 4 or 4.5" speaker, crossover, and tweeter) and 6x9's for the back. Either use the 6x9 adapters for the stock 4x10 position or do what I did and cut holes in the rear parcel shelf. That combination of front and back with a good external or internal headunit amp should deliver some beautiful sound.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the only thing I'm debating right now is that the car has 265k miles on it, and I only have my permit right now. I think once I get my license I'm going to try and find a c900 turbo or an SPG, or a 9000 turbo or a 9000 Aero. I really like the older 90s designs of the 900's and the 9000's. Anyway, I think I'll hold off till I get a different car, or maybe if I do end up keeping this one, we'll see once I get my license. Thanks for all your guys' advice!!

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
i have an older version of that one in my c900, but with a green display. it was a while back, but i think crutchfield supplied the needed wiring harness.
I have the older style as well in my NA. I personally think it is 'okay'. The wheel is okay I guess, it looks pretty bland compared to my Kenwood in the Turbo. I do however like the ease of switching audio settings unlike the Kenwood. Therefore, it is 'okay'.

As for holding off on a deck, probably a good idea. If you don't have your license, then wait until you do, then think about if you wanna keep the car or not. I recommend getting a 5spd (I believe your car is auto), turbo or non, your choice.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks, I have my permit, and my c900 is an auto and N/A. Worst of the Worst but it's still a Saab!! I want to get a manual, I don't really care if it's turbo or N/A but I would prefer a turbo. My dream would be to have a hard top Comm Ed or SPG. But what happens, happens. Thanks for the input, I think I'll hold off for now. Maybe next summer after I get my license this spring and try to get my better Saab. Thanks!!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Radio's can always be moved... just use the harness connector rather then splice/hardwire. You will regret ever cutting wires if you do. Waiting isn't a bad idea -afterall - if the factory radio works, you are already ahead of the game... lol

Radio in my FIRST Saab - 1987 9000;

same radio just got it's second life (for now) in my 86' 9000;

It is nice to be able to play MP3 CD's and not have to fuss with it much - given my CD's were all burned when I was still in HS so the taste is a little different now, but alas, it brings back memories when I drive the 86' :)

Head Unit - Alpine CDA-9813 = TITS

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Heh, I'm still completely stock in my Commem -- in fact going out of my way for it and searched for and collected all the components for what was then the factory "premium" package"

Radio/tape deck (woohoo)
Graphic EQ/CD player
under-seat amplifier and mounting hardware
Clarion CDC635 changer
Product specific cable harness...

I find that most aftermarket units are way too "flashy" for the c900 dash. Besides, it's an audio unit. I want to hear it, not look at it.... ;-) No doubt I'd love to have an iPod interface, etc., etc., and there's better quality audio out there, but I really don't need the color displays, animation and all that crap....

I wish there was a modern unit out there as basic looking as the factory Clarion, but with all the latest technology updates. Just leave the graphics at the curb, please...

Just my personal preference I guess. Good luck with whatever you go with.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hey Jim, thanks for the advice, and Thanks Burns, I think I'll wait on it until next spring/summer. Mine works fine, I just can't see the buttons at night because all of the lights on the logic board are shot, except for the one that lights up the tape deck. And the display still lights with the lambada sensor. I love the interior of the Comm Ed's. I love the woodgrain dash and the tan carpets, and yours looks awesome Jim. I also love those premium packages with the EQ/CD player. And I love your gauge pod insert. Any advice on mounting the ford DIN cupholders/coin tray in there? I have it stuck in where that little suede lined insert was on the base models. (where your EQ/CD player is) it's in there but its at a weird angle and I'd like to get that fixed. Any advice on how to get them to come straight out? Some mounting advice would be great!! Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Hey Jim, thanks for the advice, and Thanks Burns, I think I'll wait on it until next spring/summer. Mine works fine, I just can't see the buttons at night because all of the lights on the logic board are shot, except for the one that lights up the tape deck. And the display still lights with the lambada sensor. I love the interior of the Comm Ed's. I love the woodgrain dash and the tan carpets, and yours looks awesome Jim. I also love those premium packages with the EQ/CD player. And I love your gauge pod insert. Any advice on mounting the ford DIN cupholders/coin tray in there? I have it stuck in where that little suede lined insert was on the base models. (where your EQ/CD player is) it's in there but its at a weird angle and I'd like to get that fixed. Any advice on how to get them to come straight out? Some mounting advice would be great!! Thanks guys
Hey, thanks. On the cupholders, I know some have used NG900/OG9-3 cupholders with success, but mounted in the upper DIN slot and put the HU in the lower DIN slot (where my EQ/CD is). You might also want to check out Audi cupholders. The S4 Avant I had back in 2000 had a DIN sized dual cupholder, IIRC. More commonly, I see the gauges installed in the upper DIN and the HU in the lower DIN, and forego the cupholders altogether, but that's just personal preference for that particular owner.

There are so many variations on that theme. Don't know anything really about the Ford cupholders though. I try to avoid cutting if possible. Do you have any pics? Might help.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
here are some pics, my mom drives this car still, (I'm 15 and on my permit, so not my car yet technically, but I've done a lot and do a lot of maintenance on it) so the hair brush and lotion and doggy notebook are hers. lol

1 - 14 of 14 Posts