·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Title: Phil's New Year's Drive V
Start Time: 10:00 AM
Duration: 00 hour(s) 00 minutes(s)
Category: Generic Run

A run that Saabs are welcome to, but is most likely dominated by another car brand.
Other Information: For the last 4 years in an attempt to get everyone out of the house in January, I decided to organize a group drive for the first Sunday in January. These were fun events consisting of brisk drives on back roads, ending at a local restaurant. The routes involved some nice hilly twisty roads, some scenic small towns & followed portions of the CT river. There were a few stops along the way to regroup & socialize. The first year was primarily Audis, but there were also VW's, Hondas, Acuras, a Saturn, a Focus, a 323 GTX & a Miata with the top down! The second year, we got a smaller but slightly faster group that was predominantly VW's & Saabs. The third year was also a small group, mostly Saabs & Mazdas, with 2 VW's & a Honda. Marc introduced his Jetta to a tree, so we had to cut the drive short, but most people still had fun. Year four was once again a small group, but it was the most diverse collection of cars so far & I think the best year yet. Everyone had a great time, even Ethan who put a hole in his oil pan!

This year it will be on Sunday, January 2nd, rain, shine or snow, it is winter after all. The start will be at the Westbrook Outlet Mall, exit 65 off of I-95 in Westbrook, CT, we will meet around 10:00 & start the drive around 10:30.

More info:
http://p3racing.net/pictures/05/nyd/nyd3-p3.html
Submit Event Info Printable Version All events on date
NuCalendar ©

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I shoulda just not done work today - it was a waste anyways - I shoulda driven up with DeLorean and came - but oh well. Another time. Can't wait to see pictures!

·
7,595 Posts
hehehe, Paul and I had fun with this one :lol: First we went over to Nate's (saabkid87's) house to do some work and trade some parts. we had the intention of installing an n/a 2.3 manifold, his 3" downpipe, a n/a intake cam, and rebuild Pauls transmission... but none of that really got done. We dismantled Paul H's original gearbox from his 91, and that was quite interesting internally..... the rear pinion bearing was GONE, not just very very worn, but gone. I'm not sure how the car even moved like that. We got the junk yard 91 apart and pressed in some bearings, but overall it was fairly good internally and didn't need much but a lay shaft (had some light wear) and a few other minor things. After we got that most of the way back together (but not finished) Nate and I ended up trading a TD04HL 15G, with a volvo compressor and saab exhaust side for a set of 9000 CS rims- after a bunch of haggling :lol:. I think they should make a good second set for the SPG, maybe I'll buy slicks for em or something :lol: The turbo unit should pep up his 9000 big time with an external wastegate, it's just a matter of getting all the details sorted with how it's going to work.

The next day, Paul, Sam (his brother) and I went out to the meet in 2 cars. we got about 5 minutes from Pauls house when all of a sudden I shifted into 5th and hit the gas- then hear this a little click, and NO GO! no power to the gearbox at all, I coast into a section along side of the road that's off the road fairly well (thank god that was there!) :lol: It was a fairly easy task to instantly tell it was the clutch by the clicking coming from the clutch area, it was completely broken :evil: well at that point we did the only thing we could do, abandon the SPG for the time being and trek on to the meet in 1 car :p It took about 2 hours to get there, and we were right on time. The meet was a blast and the roads were great., however some of the roads were dirt and shane (900-aero) could not make it down a few of them. Even on the paved sections with the large dips and ruts his car is so low, that some bumps makes his car shoot out a shower of sparks! :shock: we got some video of that, Paul will have to post it. After the run we headed back to rescue the SPG...

we got some "tow ropes" and Pauls 9000 to haul this thing back to his house. after snapping the rope one time because I didn't keep enough tension on the rope, that went fairly smoothly. In about 2 hours time we had extracted my broken clutch (need to post a pic of that), removed a clutch from one of his parts cars, installed the "new" clutch on the SPG and got it working again. I didn't notice at it the time, but one of my cheesy volvo intercooler hoses had a split in it that was making it run shitty too. I "fixed" that with some duct tape on the highway later :roll: anyway, all in all a successful run. I learned this much- I should get AAA :oops:

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
damn man you dont have very good luck! Ill get the pics of the tranny work on my computer and throw up th epicture of that missing pinion bearing. It was fun cuz it was my initiation into th etranny work world. hope the spg gets better tho....

pics to come later

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
damn man you dont have very good luck! Ill get the pics of the tranny work on my computer and throw up th epicture of that missing pinion bearing. It was fun cuz it was my initiation into th etranny work world. hope the spg gets better tho....

pics to come later

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
new years drive pics

hey guys, just wanted to shae some pics of the drive.
http://www.saabactive.net/gallery/NEW YEARS 2005/PHIL 2005.htm
or
www.saabactive.net
i am glade you guys made it. i had lots of fun. next year i surely won't wash my car befor hand. however i enjoyed the dirty look after words.
let me know when you get some pics posted, also that video. i would like a copy or somthing , i have not yet gotten my car on video yet, it would be sweet to see that .
i am also glad you you guys made it back ok, and took car of the clutch.
i have to say also that the crowed was very nice and that phil was very helpfull with directions to help me avoid the rough roads.

cheers
shane

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
well heres the clutch

and the "new" clutch for comparison

looks like Jeff got the cheap version...what a surprise :roll: :lol:

had a blast on the run, not sure if the convertible enjoyed it that much, the brakes werent exactly "working" :shock: . still managed to keep pace with the WRX's though so thats a win in my book :lol: .

gonna have to go again next year with a car with working brakes :oops: .

oh and jeff you forgot about blowing away the ricer in the honda in the Aero :twisted: .

Paul

1 - 12 of 12 Posts