Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, so now that my 900 is almost all back together and ive finally collected some cash, I need some tires. I'm looking into the Falken Azenis Sport (205/50/15) i'm wondering if anyone has had any experience with this tire? ive heard that they are just about the best tire you can get for the money when it comes to dry pavement, but in the wet they are supposedly not very good. My other option is the Dunlop FM901 witch comes in a better size 205/55/15. But the problem is that ive never really heard much about these. they seem to be about comprable to the falkens though.

any thoughts?

Paul

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
i know a guy with a 350hp wrx...he swears by his falkens

ive heard alot of good things about themmm...noe performance dry tire is awesome in the rain...but there definetly not bad..

im working on some falkens myself

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have heard a lot of people talk about the Falkens but not many Saab owners. The problem seems to lie with the sidewall, which is too soft for a C900. Not used them myself, though. I just got some Dunlops fitted, and they are awesome - best tyres I ever had. They are not the FM, but the SP Sport 9000. I looked at a lot of reviews and they compare well to the Bridgestone SO3's, but are more long lasting. They also have the best wet weather grip of almost any tyre reviewed (handy in the UK climate). I got them in 205/50/16 to go on Super Aeros - you might have problems with 205/55 as they will rub on 16", not sure on 15".

·
7,595 Posts
My SPG had some almost new Michelin Energy MXV4 Plus's when I got it. they were the Z-rated so they were the $$$$$ ones. Tire rack has em for $130 each, they sell elsewhere for more!! are they worth the money? No. they were good tires, not so great in the rain. they wore well and were good and smooth, right up to the point that I had no tread left. here's where it gets murky... I had got a set of Kumho Ecsta HP4 716 for my 86 900-T. drove it for a little, excellent tire. grips great, rides nice, no problems in the snow, ice, rain, etc. I would say it's easily as good as the energys. I sold that car to my brother when I got the SPG. well he still has it now, the tread is 1/2 gone and they are still great tires. keep in mind... $36 tire here. Now, my energys are 100% gone... that has a little to do with how much I drive though. anyways, now that my SPG needs new tires, I just bought a set of Kumho ECSTA KH11. $41 each, Z-rated directional tire. try and beat that price, you can't! Kumho's always seem to have very good reviews on tire rack as well, so I think the Koreans must know a thing or 2 about how to make a good tire. what I am saying here is if you are looking for a tire, don't be put off because of the Kumho's low price. In my opinion, they are a quality tire for less than 1/2 the price of some other brands.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
i hate dunlops...thats what came on my car almost brand new ones too...some "sport tire"...i can spin them on dry road in second without trying...they have no grip...im constatly drifting...or is that all cuz of my crazy driving :wink:

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well i think i'm gonna go check at Sam's club first and see if they can get in the dunlops because then i could get them mounted cheap and i might end up saving money versus the Kumhos. My Mom's 9000 has Kumhos that i got from tirerack and it ended up being like another $90 to mount them :shock: . so i think its basically down to either the dunlops if i can get em cheap or Kumhos of some kind from tirerack.

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
aah, yes. don't forget about the mounting. I can get mine done for free ( I have the connections) 8) so when I get the kum's for $190 shipped, that's what it is. $190, on my car. If you can get the dunlops for cheaper, in my opinion, they are a quality tire. I had them in my sunbird. they seemed ok, however I really didn't do a while lot of driving on them. the car also did not have to worry about spinning in 2nd. chirping into 2nd was about as good as it gets with that car. ;)

·
Registered
29 Posts
saabkid37 said:
i hate dunlops...thats what came on my car almost brand new ones too...some "sport tire"...i can spin them on dry road in second without trying...they have no grip...im constatly drifting...or is that all cuz of my crazy driving :wink:
Interesting. Was that the SP Sport 9000? It's just that I run 1.2 bar boost and type 6 primaries and could wheelspin in 3rd (and 4th in the wet) on my old tyres which were only half worn, but these things are like its on rails.

The Kumho's come out pretty well in the tire rack surveys, about level with the SP 9000 - this page is for the Max performance ones.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

The FM901s are in a lower category.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=UHP

And the Falkens don't seem to be listed.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hmm now im more conflicted, it seems that tirerack has kumho ecsta mx's available in 205/50/15 for $79. That is a little above my price range, but they have really good reviews. well i guess ill have to check the price on the dunlops and if they are more i'll have to flip a coin between the kumhos and the falkens :lol: .

thanks for the suggestions

Paul

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
well to follow up, i gave up on all of my choices and went with the kumho kh11's. i figured, how could i go wrong with a $41 v rated tire? and after a very spirited trip home from carlisle on em, i cant say enough, they stuck to the pavement like glue even at 100mph+ on PA roads chasing a beemer :lol: .

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
Sounds good! I just got mine mounted today (on rims, not on the car) so I'll get to see how they do tonight when I put em on the car...

Wish me luck! :twisted:

·
7,595 Posts
BS42's shop teacher was checking my old tires and was looking at the section that had the cords showing through. He said he thought that he could probably polk it right through with his pocket knife :lol: if I had gone much further, I WOULD have had a blow out. I get my moneys worth out of my tires, that's for sure ;) so, these new ones should last me what? 10 years 8) hmm, yeah, I am cheap...

Oh, interesting thing about my Energy MXV+4's. not a single puncture in any of them. not sure if that was luck or if they have some sort of protective layer inside.

·
Registered
220 Posts
If you dont mind I would like to bump this, this was the only tire recomendation thread I could find using the search, so if there is a newer one dont kill me.

I just picked up at 93 900 T. Ill make my introductions later, however, the tires that are on it now are past the wear strips, and its raining something nasty here in Seattle making driving a nightmare.

Looking at the tire rack for some new ones, the Bridgestone Potenza G 009's and the Michelin Pilot Exalto A/S seem to be rated pretty high. Has anyone here owned these? The Michis are about $20 more per tire ($80) however, if they are that much better Ill definatly choke up the extra dough.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eed_rating=ZR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...eed_rating=ZR&speed_rating=WR&speed_rating=YR

Thanks for the help!

·
7,595 Posts
Personally, I am not a fan of any Michelin tires... Have you checked out the BF-Goodrich Traction TA's? I think they are going to be my next tire. It has been a looong time now since my kh11's got worn out. they worked pretty well in the dry, not so well in the rain, treadwear was very bad though. I think I got 6 months out of the tires.

·
Registered
5,988 Posts
What are you looking for out of a tire? All weather driveability? Performance? Price?

1 - 20 of 39 Posts