Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I searched and hopefully this is not a repost-

Since TSL is Pastrana's unofficial fan club*... I was surfing the web and stumbled across this: http://www.wired.com/autopia/2010/09/travis-pastrana-mt-washington-auto-road/

I love Mt. Washington, and the list of impressive records set on it no matter what the activity was. Sprongl's drive was impressive (make sure you watch the video), and this is just a hair quicker. Looks like they had somewhat favorable conditions as well. I will be pumped if they bring back the Climb to the Clouds; it's something I've always wanted to see since I found out about it and the MW Auto Road.

Discuss!

(I guess he beat me by 62 minutes in change:shock:. But I had to use my legs.)

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Yeah i saw this last night, pretty damn cool. I need to tackle mt. washington, although i think i'll stick to the suggested speeds and conditions they list.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Next summers event should be fun. Entry is going to be limited to 70 cars. Alot of local hillclimbers are hopping to run, as well as people who have run in past CTTC. While it will be cool to see some big names, I hope the event has room for the New Englanders as well.

video of pastranas test session,

https://www.redbullcontentpool.com/stock/showVideoOffer.action?offerID=1284412860617-1054676481

Heres a copy of a letter sent out by VT sports car:

Good morning everyone,

There's been lots of speculation in the past 24 hours about what transpired at Mt. Washington this week with Travis Pastrana and whether or not the Mt. Washington Hillclimb will be returning. I'd like to clarify some of the things for you if I could.

First, Vermont SportsCar has agreed to serve as the organizer of the event and bring back the Mt. Washington Hillclimb back June 22-26, 2011, the event will be sanctioned by RallyCar (formerly Rally America). This will be a one-time event in support of the Mt. Washington Auto Road's 150th Anniversary.

At the present time, we are working on how the entry process will work, primarily due to the limited 70-car field and the significant interest that we know exists from drivers across the country and from around the world who we know would like to compete in this event. We do however, plan to release this very important information shortly, so please be patient and we will announce everything as soon as we can in a press release.

Secondly, the test with Vermont SportsCar and Travis Pastrana that took place on the mountain earlier this week was just that, a test. It was organized by Vermont SportsCar, the Mt. Washington Auto Road and RallyCar to test the new road surfaces and secure some footage for upcoming promotions. Yes, Travis bested Frank Sprongl's record time of 6:41.99 in his first full-course run of the very same course on Wednesday, with official timing, but his time of 6:20.47 is not considered the record of the Climb to the Clouds Hillclimb, Frank Sprongl's record still stands.

Was it the fastest time ever up the Mt. Washington Auto Road? Yes. But it was not recorded during the Climb to the Clouds. It's a tricky subject about what to call an official record or not, in either case, debating it and having the media talk about it is a good thing that will enable the 2011 CTTC to indeed happen, for sponsors to find out about it and for competitors to learn about it.

Lastly, I know that everyone is very excited to hear that the Climb to the Clouds will be returning in 2011 as are we and I'm sure that everyone has lots of questions that they'd like answered. However, I'd like to ask that you please be patient while we finalize the remaining details of the event. An initial press release officially announcing the return of the Climb to the Clouds from our offices will be distributed to the media later today, while details regarding entry information & fees, event schedules, and what will take place during the event itself will be distributed via similar press releases in the coming weeks - everyone will be kept in the loop.

In closing, thank you all for your enthusiasm and your interest - like you, we're extremely excited that the Climb to the Clouds will be returning in 2011 as well!

Take care,

Paul Giblin
Vermont SportsCar

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
I'm definitely going to be attending, although I doubt I'll be driving. I've got some friends who built a Mk1 Rabbit into a hillclimb car, I wonder if they'll be doing it. Should be pretty awesome!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.