Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I have my old cat which was replaced with a bolt on test pipe, so it won't take that long. Just a pain to have to do it in the morning before driving down to DC, although I suppose I only have myself to blame for leaving it until the last minute.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
There are a few cars that run clean enough to pass emissions without a cat, I know of a few 370zs that pass the sniffer test but just barely on a super refined tune and it was probably only sniffing at idle. For 95% of all cars, I think it is highly unlikely to get it to pass without a cat.

I always feel that for a minimal drop in power, the legality, additional environmental friendliness, and the lack of straight pipe smell is worth it.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
True dyno emmissions tests will know if the cat is gutted. Virginia is by county. TG, Fauquier and Culpeper doesn't do emmissions tests.

Fairfax, Arlington and Alexandria do, I believe.

·
7,595 Posts
There is one reading that will top the charts without a cat, though the other 2 will likely still be in-specification so long as the car is running well. That does not matter really, a fail is a fail.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
All they do is emissions now, no safety inspection. They run the car on a sort of dyno for a few minutes going up and down through the gears with a sniffer tube slipped over the tailpipe.

·
7,595 Posts
Realistically, anyone in /near NYC should just buy a house in NEPA in order to register & insure their cars at that location. Likely they will end up saying a significant amount of money, and have a "summer house" to boot.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
1) It's a 1990, needs to be 25 years old here unless the company that originally made it no longer makes cars.
2) Any "historic" car as they call it needs to take one emissions inspection when it is first registered. The only cars exempt from all emissions testing in DC are pre-1968 cars, and cars that don't burn fuel.

·
c900 Grognard
3,713 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Realistically, anyone in /near NYC should just buy a house in NEPA in order to register & insure their cars at that location. Likely they will end up saying a significant amount of money, and have a "summer house" to boot.
Honestly that's why I keep the car registered in DC (I will be moving back there somewhat soon anyway). Only having to pass emissions and 80/year for tags and zoned parking permit is really not that much to ask. I just need to get a pre-68 model 96 so the man can't touch me. :lol:

·
Super Moderator
6,730 Posts
haha nice. I have heard of people tack welding the shields from a cat onto their pipes for the same trick.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I believe 1967 was the first year of the V4 - the newer the V4 model - the large the engine too. The EARLY ones were 1.5L V4 - the Sonetts were the first to get the 1.7L and MOST of the 96's and 95's had the 1.6 after I think 1970. My 1973 95' has the 1.7L from factory - as I think by then they were all 1.7L V4's. But I'm not 100% on those dates.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.