Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
havent ever seen a write up on it. im assuming its a pretty simple job? at first glance it doesnt appear that the cable is tucked up/behind anything crazy.

my main question is the connection to the lever in the car. the parts diagram appears to show a single cable coming out from the handle, is that in or outside the car?

im planning on putting in a new cable and return springs, anything else i should do? im assuming the brake will work as it usually did prior to the cable seizing, just seemed to be impeded by an improperly functioning cable...

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
You need to lower the exhaust - lower the exhaust heat shield - undo the fuel tank straps one at a time - rest is easy - good luck!

I Suggest getting the car as high off the ground as you can to get under it...
That sound's like an OG 9-3.

This is posted in the New 9-3 section. (I've never done hand brake cables on an SS, so maybe you do have to do all of this stuff, but I just wanted to clarify)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That sound's like an OG 9-3.

This is posted in the New 9-3 section. (I've never done hand brake cables on an SS, so maybe you do have to do all of this stuff, but I just wanted to clarify)
:facepalm:

yeah this is not the right section...woops.

·
Super Moderator
10,065 Posts
Never said anything about dropping the tank - just the straps to get the cable through... but the exhaust and shields must be lowered... 9-5's are even more fun :)

So what car is this for - a og9-3 like I thought or a SS 9-3? I'll move the thread to the right section once confirmed.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I thought it was sort of a PITA to do on a og9-3.

The cable connects to the adjuster under the car, above the exhaust. I had the exhaust of anyway when I did mine. Broke some heat shield studs while doing it and had to get creative to reattach them. Just loosening the strap on the gas tank did the trick as well.

Not to bad, just an annoying, rust in the eye kind of job.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
I did mine about 6 months ago and it was kind of annoying. I didn't even bother loosening the gas tank straps after looking at all the rust on the bolt that held it in. I just took a pry bar and eased the new line through without poking a hole in the tank.

I did end up ripping out the rear exhaust shield though...every bolt holding it in just snapped so I said, "eff this noise" and yanked it out.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am also working on this project, and everything was going fairly smoothly, right up up to themoment that i snapped the bolt at the two-to-one point. now i get to figure out how to disassemble the center console of the '99 9-3 to swap whatever it takes to get the e-brake working again. luckily, i have a parts car to cannibalize... does anyone know where to find a good write up on undoing the center console? i have not opened the Chilton's book yet, and really don't want to.

·
Registered
594 Posts
I am also working on this project, and everything was going fairly smoothly, right up up to themoment that i snapped the bolt at the two-to-one point. now i get to figure out how to disassemble the center console of the '99 9-3 to swap whatever it takes to get the e-brake working again. luckily, i have a parts car to cannibalize... does anyone know where to find a good write up on undoing the center console? i have not opened the Chilton's book yet, and really don't want to.
Been a while since I had it out... but AFAIR, remove to screws behind the ashtray mount in the rear. Remove collar around ignition by twisting. Unsnap plate over ignition area. Maybe remove two more screws and I think it's out. Takes maybe five minutes. But, check the book... don't want you to snap any plastic on my account and it's easy to do with older cars.

The rod is attached to the parking brake lever. If you have a parts car, you can just swap it. Rust will be your greatest challenge.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Rust will be your greatest challenge.[/QUOTE]

Yep... Rust is definitely my greatest of many challenges. Thanks for the help btw.

I believe the "bolt" i snapped was that threaded rod. didn't take much to snap it either. oh well, i know the other car has a good one, i just recently pulled the cables off of it in anticipation for this, but was not planning on going this far.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.