Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've got a set of 15's for winter duty that I need to paint an obnoxious color. How ever I've never painted rims before so how paint paint will I need? Should I sand and prime beforehand? T.I.A.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
sand is good.

I used about 2 cans.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Depends on how much effort time you want to put into it.

I would min sand then put two coats of paint.

Extra steps would be to sand, prime, sand, then paint.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I just did clean and the 4 or 5 coats of white on these guys. We will see how they are holding up in spring...

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Color is undecided but what grit should I use?

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nobody knows what grit sandpaper to use? Dunb question for sure but I'm a total newb at painting

·
Registered
897 Posts
use like 120 then 300 then work your way to as fine as a finish you want.

its really up to you. when i painted my wheels i just sanded with 300(i think) really quick, primed it then put acouple coats of whatever color and cleared them and they still look decent.

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
i'll out do ALL of you guys and paint my viggens PINK now that i have rk2's to clean up for summer :D ;)

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
ya I don't know why everyone wants to paint their winter wheels weird obnoxious colors. I'm painting mine next summer, and I'm keeping them factory, either black with clear coat, or silver with clear coat. simple.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
White is the way to go.

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
I just painted these:

Steps:
1. Clean with lacquer thinner
2. Sand with sanding sponge
3. Clean with lacquer thinner
4. Prime x2
5. Paint x2

Materials:
2 cans of indoor/outdoor Krylon pumpkin orange
2 cans of Krylon white primer.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Obnoxious you say? :rolleyes:

"Be" the bomb and experiment with brown daub. You kind of use a thick paint and just kind of well, daub it on like adobe. With the right color all your friends will say stuff like "Man, those wheels look like shit".

:D:sho

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I actually do kinda like those orange rims on there. huh, maybe you've turned me into a "obnoxious" color believer guys!! haha

·
Registered
369 Posts
Sorry, I gotta say that those orange wheels look like the first step in making your Saab into the Tribute To The Telebubbies or something.

The colors, now I have "The Brady Bunch" theme in my head ... argggggggggg help ? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
914 Posts
If you'd left them (closs) white they woulda looked pretty sick on silver!

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
Sorry, I gotta say that those orange wheels look like the first step in making your Saab into the Tribute To The Telebubbies or something.

The colors, now I have "The Brady Bunch" theme in my head ... argggggggggg help ? :rolleyes:
My girlfriend says: Sweet... Loser. There isn't even an orange teletubby.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
saabeh what grit do you use as yours came out really nice? Also bright flashy color has been bought; pics when its on the wheelz

·
Super Moderator
6,731 Posts
saabeh what grit do you use as yours came out really nice? Also bright flashy color has been bought; pics when its on the wheelz
Idk what grit it was, but it was like a fine sanding sponge I bought at Ace.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts