Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone managed to paint their throttle body? I am thinking about removing it and giving it a nice coat of high temp silver paint I had lying around here... Here is my engine bay now so you can see what I want to paint (for those of you not familiar with the throttle body, it's the piece that the black piping connects into)...

Any ideas?

Oh and why we are here talking about painting things, what does everyone think of painting the inspection cover in the center of the camshaft cover (the plate below the words Saab 2.3)...

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
rcmdesign said:
Has anyone managed to paint their throttle body? I am thinking about removing it and giving it a nice coat of high temp silver paint I had lying around here... Here is my engine bay now so you can see what I want to paint (for those of you not familiar with the throttle body, it's the piece that the black piping connects into)...

Oh and why we are here talking about painting things, what does everyone think of painting the inspection cover in the center of the camshaft cover (the plate below the words Saab 2.3)...
Yeha - at most I would just have it glass or sand blasted - carefully! I do not see a NEED for the TB to be painted.... kinda un-needed.

And the Valve Cover Insert is the cover for the plugs ;) Painting that is easy - just wet sand the current paint a little - dry off/clean - then spray. DO NOT REMOVE THE BLACK COATING! I learned that the hard way - after spending a day stripping it..... :roll: The Paint needs to stick to that back "primer" to hold and dry clean and smooth.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Wet Sanding is a technique - very very fine grit sand paper - and water. Get the part wet and just sand over it. Rinse it off every so often and keep rotating th paper. Eventually it will have a very smooth surface, yet able to hold paint. This technique is used in A LOT of different ways and applications.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well after wetsanding it very lightly, and primering the piece I decided to go out and buy the Lexus IS300 Solar Yellow color for my engine parts. I am thinking of doing the inspection cover as mentioned above, my strut bar and my brake calipers in this yellow. I didn't buy that much paint though cause it was expensive...But it should look hot when it's done...

·
Registered
316 Posts
Rob, if you can do without your car for a week, you can send the plate and throttle body to me. I can bead blast the throttle body and powder coat the both of them whatever color you want. Pretty easy stuff since I have the set up. You would need to pull off the throttle position sensor and the linkage. Also, I would need cost reimbursement for the paint unless you want black which I have plenty of, but don't have any red powder. There will also need to be a little extra cheese for shipping and "handling" of course, but probably not more than a Jackson + UPS. Let me know and I can hook you up since I am doing some powder runs now.

Kevin

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kev, thanks for offering but the car is a daily driver :( I really want to powder coat some stuff someday, to eliminate such high temps in there...I already bought the paint and everything also, the solar yellow. But thanks again for offering...And keep us updated on your car...You should start a post called Hot Wasaabi and just post there daily all about it!

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update

OK Here is the process so far:

Wetsanded and primed "spark plug cover" and purchased Lexus IS300 Solar Yellow paint for a local shop with a ready to spray kit. Now if the weather clears up today I will get out and put the first coat of yellow on and post some pics....

·
Administrator
668 Posts
I think it would also look quite nice if you painted the strut tower bar in the same yellow.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I didn't get enough paint for the strut bar I have now realized...So expensive...But here is the plate so far after one coat of paint:

Might do another coat, and then spray on the top clear coat...

·
Administrator
668 Posts
seems to be going well! keep up the good work and thanks for documenting it all.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well now that I got this tight ass digital camera I thought I would post more pictures when I do mods...Give other people ideas...

Well here are the pics with it sitting on the block for now...Need to clear coat it soon....

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
that shit looks nice....

so clean, too. I need an engine bay detail job pretty badly and my car os only 2 years old and it looks like 10 years old under the hood. :cry: damn winters, I bet it is all the salt and all that type of crud....

you really should consider doing the strut bar in the same yellow. i know you said it is expensive, but it would be so worth it. How much IS expensive anyway, if you don't mind me asking?

if you do, just ignore the question. ;)

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I paid 22 bucks for that kit above. Included 1/2 pint of paint (8 oz), aeresol spray can, and paint container. If I go back for more paint, I pay 14.99 for additional 1/2 pint of paint and 4.99 for aerosol spray can...I mean I still have some paint left...And I could always buy more, but I might not have the time to remove the strut bar and sand it down to bare metal again (cause of course it's already painted with high-temp white) and then repaint it. I also want to see if this yellow will hold up for a bit before I go and color more things only to have them burn off in a few days. I was told this paint would hold, so let's see...

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
oh, that's not so bad. i thought it was like 50 bucks for a little can. It sure looks expensive, you did a good job!

I probably spent 3 or 4 times that trying to get the paint to stick to my grill properly. oh well, live and learn. I am happy to report it has been several months and several long highway trips and not one single chip or flake of paint has come off. (1 can adhesion promoter, 4 cans of black laquer, 3 cans of primer and 2 cans clear coat later!) :roll:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Be careful once it hits winter, when I painted my grille last, it was fine all summer but in that damn cold weather + the road salt, it flaked off...As you can see if some of my more recent pics...I am thinking of purchasing a 9-3 grille soon, but I have been saying that for awhile huh...

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
winter did you in, huh? I may just put my original chrome meshed 9-3 grill back on for the winter, then, so as not to ruin my hard work. I had a feeling something like that might happen, it was kind of my plan all along.

next time sand the chrome on that bitch REALLY good (I used a little sanding wheel attachment thing on a cordless drill to really rough that chrome up!) and then use 2 or 3 coats of adhesion promoter, a coat or two of sandable filler primer, sand that bitch with fine grit paper till it's real smooth, then apply two+ coats of primer, then paint several (3+) coats of laquer paint, then several clear coats of laquer... You should be good with that. Mine was anyways, i had the same flaking diaster as yours the first time.... second time, no problems. well, looking back on that, maybe that's a bit much but i usually do go overboard. :roll: :lol:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
And here are the final pictures....Although I think I might want black bolts on the center yellow plate now that I look at these pics...And the dipstick needs a paint overlay...too dark...

1 - 20 of 53 Posts