Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok..I drive a 9-5 but just about everyone on this site drives a NG900 or 9-3 so for maximum exposure I am posting here. Has anyone painted the black exterior door handle pulls to match the paint of the car? Obviously they would have to be removed to be done but will the material be suitable in other words will a primer stick to the black material? Has anyone done this?

·
Administrator
668 Posts
ive never seen it done.... but i really want to now.... someone go do it! FAST.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well I checked GoldWing to see how much some used door handles would be so I could paint and swap without having to drive around sans door handles....and they are $65 a piece so I guess I will not be going THAT route. I'll check with the body shop up the street and see what they have to say about it.

·
Administrator
668 Posts
yeah thats a wee bit steep... also if you painted them it seems like the paint would get alot of wear..... and that may not be the best thing.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They would get lots of wear as would any painted door handle. This is where 3 coats of paint and 4 coats of clearcoat come in handy :lol:

·
Administrator
668 Posts
yeah, that would be helpfull.... also i just wonder how it would look... maybe someone could photo shop it.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It would look hot. It would look even better if the black bump strip was painted too so there was no black plastic on the body but I don't think thats as feasible. If I do the handles I'll do the onstar antenna at the same time.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I know I've seen someone post pics of their silver 9-3 with all the trim painted to match the rest of the car...not sure how well it's holding up for him, but I know it's possible.

If you're really worried about hiding the door handles, you might as well just shave them and get the little door popers. That way you can get the body work done and repaint the entire car (trim and all) all nice and uniform in color.

·
10,303 Posts
Like I posted b4, I am going to sand mine a bit, and have them carbon fibre decalled. As long as you are carefull and pull them open from the inside of the handle, it should be fine. It will wear where you don't see it.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I was in newport for the weekend and i saw a 9-3 green saab with all the trim painted the same color. It looks really sharp, not that hard to think of don't really need photoshop. Looks good.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey Guys, I noticed a high traffic flow from my site to this site so I thought I would check it out. Pretty cool! :lol: Anyway, the handles are being painted body color on my '97 Talladega project car today or should I say re-painted since they were done a couple weeks ago but there was a shadow so I asked him to redo it. So, I should be able to post a picture within the next couple days. http://www.kyankton.net/

Also, having the B-Pillar/door carbon fiber pieces clear coated to prevent the carbon from yellowing. I also have the front grill done and I have to say that it turned out pretty good. Check it out - >

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
Hey Kevin, i'm the one that keeps emailing you about what your going to do to your car, and also about your custom coilovers. Most of that traffic is prob me, check your site every other day. Just saying hi, car is comming out awesome. What are you doing about you ehxaust mainfold? Also how are the coilovers comming out? Car looks awesome, cant wait to see it done.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Hey, the exhaust manifold is custom (like everything else) to fit the GT 35BB turbo and provide greater exhaust gas flow. As far as the coil overs, this is the last thing that will be done after the car is complete, kinda like a phase 2 thing. The reason being is that we need to have the exact weight of the car as it sits on each wheel. From that we can determine how best to balance the car. Instead of making coil overs that fit the NG900/9-3 front suspension, we are planning on changing the front drive spindles to the 9-5 ones and using the already in production coil overs. The trick to this will be positioning the steering arm attachments on the strut body, but will work it out. Another advantage is that I can then run the larger diameter drive shafts from the 9-5 also.

Kevin

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
this is strictly an opinion, but I think the grill would look hot if you switched to a 9-3 grill and painted it that lime yellow color to match. Leave the mesh silver.

I am fan of the painted grill look, although i DO like the chrome as well. Had a hard time deciding between my meshed chrome and painted grill, but my new painted is unique enough that i decided it is worth a change, at least for a little while... (still got the chrome one in case i change my mind!)

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
by the way, i love the project car. Great idea on the lime yellow paint...

I wish Saab had more colors to choose from. their silver is a bit boring compared to the audi/vw and porsche silvers, and I wish they had one of those light ice blue colors like on the late 80s early 90s bimmers.... Oh well, maybe in my future there may be a Saab project car and I can paint it any color I want! :lol:

·
Registered
316 Posts
The choice to stick with the older design was actually more function driven. The older design allows for more air intake and greater cooling. So, I did not dismiss this and made an explicit choice. When the car is done, people could probably sit there a good part the a day noticing all the subtle things that I have changed on the car.

Kevin

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
oh, good point! I hadn't even thought of that!

Every little bit of extra cool air will probably help with that car being on it's way to becoming quite a beast! :wink:

This is what i did on my 9-3, I didn't like the look of the plastic "grid" showing through behind the mesh, and hopefully it will benefit me by letting more air in there, too? I cut the "wing" and "grid" out of the rear peice of the grill, and painted it black to match the front piece...

only thing is that since I removed the "wing" on the front piece of the grill, the mesh now collects quite a few bugs each time I go for a spin on the highway! :lol:

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
For my grill, I ended up just getting rid of the cross bars all together, and molding it to the brows. Far from the factory look, but in your case it would be maximum airflow.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Blaque_Out said:
For my grill, I ended up just getting rid of the cross bars all together, and molding it to the brows. Far from the factory look, but in your case it would be maximum airflow.
We got off subject here, from painting door handles to painting the grill, but I just painted the interior of my car (minus the cabron fiber dash) that runs down from under the radio back to the cup holder dark black, since it was turning a faded light grey - it looks stunningly cool.

As ofr door handles - an easier way to do it is to buy some of that carbon fiber decal on eBay and cover the handles with it. Looks nice but not real. I think I'm going to take the carbon fiber off mine asnd paint them.

I used a plastic paint of some kind, I forget the excact brand, but it turned out Very well nd smooth everywhere, no smells, and it doesn't scratch or anything weird.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts