Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
No restore dates available. My cousin's PC. Which virus did this? How can it be fixed? Very important emails appear to be gone. XP.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Are the folders that contain them gone as well? Probably the virus just removed the .exe for them...First thing, go to msconfig...and uncheck everything on startup menu. Restart...Then go online and find a free virus checker (AVG works), also run ad aware, and anti mal ware. Hopefully one of these find the culprit. You will probably have to reinstall the programs manually (for emails, you could probably back up the files).

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
She did find PST files and others associated with Outlook. She sent me the PST file to try to open it in my Outlook and see if her missing files are there, but I can't recall how to do that.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
...you also should tell your cousin to use another TRUSTED PC, one that's NOT CONNECTED TO HER HOME NETWORK to change any and all passwords relating to email or online financial transactions.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
She did find PST files and others associated with Outlook. She sent me the PST file to try to open it in my Outlook and see if her missing files are there, but I can't recall how to do that.
pst files suuuuuuuck. pita to open. since i abandoned pc-based email, my life has improved dramatically.

·
Registered
161 Posts
pst files suuuuuuuck. pita to open. since i abandoned pc-based email, my life has improved dramatically.
Ever since I abandoned PCs my life has improved dramatically.

I do work on them quite often. I've found AVG to be very good and very free. I would put that on the computer and let it scan to see what it comes up with. Make all Windows Updates are performed and see what you come up with.

Keep it off the internet as much as possible, only to update etc.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
What email provider does she use?
How was she downloading the mail? POP or IMAP
If POP, maybe outlook wasn't set to delete messages off of the server. (long shot)
If IMAP (so much better then POP) the mail server may have all the messages still.

If time is of the essence for those emails, try setting the account up on another computer to see if you can download them for her. Or most ISPs (if it's email provided from and ISP) provide some sort of webmail service.

I hate Norton, I find it very resource hungry although most anti viruses are and I hate them, but they can be a necessary evil.
I'd try rebooting into safe mode an running spybot search and destroy as well as malware bytes.

Also "HiJack this" can be a useful tool while running in normal mode to see what sort of Browser Helper Objects and other nasty things are running.

Using "HiJack this" you can kill/delete a bunch of these things, but you can also screw up the machine in other ways if you are not careful.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts