Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Obviously I'm not leaving it like that. haha I just put some electrical tape on it to give an idea of what I want to do. I already took the tape off.

I wanted some opinions before I break out the plasti-dip. How do you think it looks with the chrome surrounds in black? All of them not just the center one, I just didn't do the rest because it's about 25 degrees outside.

And yes, my headlights are yellow (I'm getting the resto kit) and yes, I have a bunch of holes in my bumper from the previous owner (getting a Euro plate to cover those)

·
Registered
429 Posts
It doesn't do anything for me. The chrome doesn't either though...

·
Registered
303 Posts
I would go with white grile and black outline... So you have a white-black-white symmetry.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey, that's Nathan9-5's '01 SE from SC!

And, mine's not as bad as it looks in that picture. It's a total mess right now and the picture is from my phone. Cleaned up and waxed, it still looks good. :) (Minus those damn holes :mad: ) And I didn't know you could do a face-drop. That's pretty cool!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
Plastic headlights are gay - shame they never made HID's with glass lenses. That would have been a good idea....

I do agree the 2004/2005 front clip is the nicest - but unless the headlights are clear and new looking, I'll stick with the glass lights :(

·
Registered
709 Posts
Black grille might be too dark/cheap looking. I'd either leave it, do a more graphite color, black chrome, or CF wrap it. Maybe some tasteful black mesh behind any of that too. Just throwing ideas out there.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
I would honestly leave the grille alone. There are not many options that will yield dramatic visible improvements. Instead of focusing on that, I would suggest you spend your time and money on a front lower lip spoiler. In my opinion, it's the only visual improvement one can make on a 2002-2005 linear/arc front-end that's doesn't cost an outrageous amount. You can go the stock, oem route, which will probably cost $100-$200 depending on condition (used vs. new), or you can go cheap (yet still nice) and go for an aftermarket, $20-$40 universal lip, something which is usually made out of flexible weather guard. There's a few threads on here about it.

And lastly, I'd forget about a 2004-2005 Aero frontend swap unless you have a car that you can take everything off of for a cheap cost. It's just too much work and money otherwise, especially considering that at the end of the day that it's still a dime a dozen (yet special to owner) 9-5. Save your money for the front lip, lowering, wheels, etc. Those will enhance the car much more.

And for your headlights, don't waste your money on any kits. Wetsand them with 1000, 1200, 1500, and then 2000 grade sand papers. When you're done, buff them with rubbing compound and apply some wax/sealant. They will look like new afterward.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I would honestly leave the grille alone. There are not many options that will yield dramatic visible improvements. Instead of focusing on that, I would suggest you spend your time and money on a front lower lip spoiler.
I agree, for your car now, I would add an oem front lip you could find at a yard for cheaper and get rid of the two black pieces of plastic under the right and left side of your front bumper. I dont know what you have to spend but I'd leave the front grill chrome and black and just add a spoiler.

And lastly, I'd forget about a 2004-2005 Aero frontend swap unless you have a car that you can take everything off of for a cheap cost.
Yea, Im in the middle of a swap now, '02-'04/'05, and Im just waiting for the painting to get done. Got the bumper new for $200 and the paint will cost me $100. Its quite an easy swap so I figured why not. But a white 9-5 with a '04-'05 Aero kit on it would be sweet.

And for your headlights, don't waste your money on any kits.
If you're lucky and the haze is on the outside its a farely easy fix. Mine ended up being on the inside and they were so bad I just ended up buyin 2 new Xenons and bulbs.

And plastic headlights are gay

·
Registered
122 Posts
You have an 03 which means you should definitely get the newer 04-05 aero bumper if you have the money for it. You don't have to do any modifying to make it fit because it's an 03.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
The front facelift is only $300?? I thought it would be a lot more. And that's new parts? I can afford that now. And at that price I'd just keep my original bumper and when it comes time to sell the car, I'll put that back on. I was originally planning on just saving up and buying a C900, but maybe I'll put some into this...

This thread is evolving into more than just the grille....lol I'll make it simple with one question:

How much will it cost to make mine look like this:

Rims and all exterior minus the rear bumper. (used or new parts) That is my dream 9-5. So why not make my 9-5 look like my dream 9-5?

·
Registered
321 Posts
The front facelift is only $300?? I thought it would be a lot more. And that's new parts?
I got a deal on new bumper and paint from a buddy of mine. Bumper is around $400 and paint is about $200-300 normally.

How much will it cost to make mine look like this:
Rims and all exterior minus the rear bumper. (used or new parts) That is my dream 9-5. So why not make my 9-5 look like my dream 9-5?
Hit up some Saab yards and see what they got

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I got a deal on new bumper and paint from a buddy of mine. Bumper is around $400 and paint is about $200-300 normally.

Hit up some Saab yards and see what they got
Well, that's not an awful price still for the bumper and I could paint it myself.

Any good yards near Louisville? I know there aren't any in town, but any within 200 miles that you know of? This may become my summer project.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
If the Aero front bumper is really a straight swap for the 2003, I say to definitely go that route. You can get really good deals online for new and used bumpers:

2004 SAAB 9-5 BUMPER FRONT W/AERO W/O HEADLAMP WIPER

^--$360 shipped isn't bad. If you can paint yourself, you can have it all done and on the car for less than $500 total. If not, figure $200-400 for paint depending on the bodyman. You can save costs by sanding and prepping yourself.

As others said, a white Aero front would look great. Good luck!

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
^Awesome. I bookmarked the page. Only I need the one with headlamp washers, which they have, but it's $309 plus $85 shipping. Thanks for that link!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.