Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

It seems that a fairly common mod people do to their C900's is move the battery from the engine bay either to under the rear seat (where there is one) or into the boot (aka trunk).

I can see good advantages to doing this - namely getting the battery away from all the heat and high concentration of stray combustible gasses that always accumulate there.

I've already got my starter motor in the frying zone (it's a pre-1985 8V C900 so the starter is on the exhaust side of the block) since the heatshield failed recently and finally cracked off it's mountings, so I don't want the battery to get that same treatment. The car doesn't have a turbo but if it did the heat in that area of the engine bay would be more than it is without one, so the problem would potentially be worse...

Anyway, my car is a 4-door sedan body model, so under the rear seat is an option. In the boot (aka trunk) would work too but I don't like the idea of the battery being near to the fuel tank inlet. Perhaps that's an unfounded fear but it could possibly be an advantage because it'll compensate for the weight of the spare wheel and, in theory, maybe give a better distribution of 'stock' weight over the rear wheels.

Are there any websites around dealing with moving the battery? I've spent some time over the last few days doing a big update of the technical library page on my C900 Workshop website and I'm hunting for sites covering some other interesting topics to add the library page.

Regards,

Craig.

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
DeLorean said:
Thanks, I just posted something into that thread on the subject.

I guess that despite all the efforts to deal with the battery location, the problem of the first-series H blocks having the starter on the exhaust manifold side is another problem that can really only be solved by an engine swap to get one with the started on the intake side (later series H block). I don't have a heatshield protecting the starter since the last one broke off. :mad:

Not having a turbo-equipped engine makes this prospect a little less daunting for the shade-tree mechanic that I am. :cool: But that would also give me the opportunity to replace the auto transmission with a manual one.. I'll chat to my Saab shop about this.. I know that SaabWreck in Melbourne, VIC (Australia) would have plenty of later-series NA 8V engines available.

Hmmm....

Craig.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts