·
Registered
27 Posts
Re: onstar anyone? use your onstar computer as a personal gp

ricot83 said:
i am removing mine but i just found some very interesting info
http://www.i-hacked.com/content/view/15/45/

mine will b for sale if anyone wants it
I would like too remove mine too. Can you tell me where it is located? I was having some fun in an vacant parking lot at work, and onstar actually called me to see if everything was ok. I'm not comfortable with onstar knowing where I'm going, how fast, or what time for that matter!

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
don't you hafta pay to have On-Star work?? Simply don't pay for it and they shouldn't contact you - right? That's how every GM rep has explained it.... :roll:

·
Registered
745 Posts
Finally,

Someone finally found a way to exploit this expensive ass system.. I never thought it was a great idea to continually pay for something after you buy a car. Especially something that can tell on you.

It makes sense that it would have a GPS so Onstar can figure out where you are, just a matter of communicating the info back to Onstar via a cell phone system or transmitter.

GPS beaconing systems is free courtesy of the government to triangulate your position....using sattelites. Its a matter of having a device that can calculate lattitude and longitude to pin-point where you are.

ONstar just has a communications network that the system communicates your position to. Sort of like buying an alarm system for your house, it works but if you don't have a telephone line connected to call your alarm monitoring station then the cops don't get a phone call.

Its just a matter of time before the system gets tied into law enforcement, or your insurance company to find out how you're driving. The Insurance companies are already using the information from systems on the newer vehicles after an accident to do the same thing. Imagine if they find a way to communicate with the Onstar system by hijacking the frequency they transmit on, and decoding it. Or for that matter buyout ONstar thru the stock market and sell that information to insurance companies.

just a thought..

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
these are the reasons i pulled mine out... in the trunk on the passenger side u will find the 2 drives and wires and such.. to fil the hole on the top of the car, u can use a viggen antenna

1 - 6 of 6 Posts