Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
im a fairly new guy, wondering if anyone had some clever ideas for getting more power out of my 84 8valve, while getting the best bang for my buck.

peace,
Spencer

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
exhaust - do up a K&N style cone air inake too. I think your best bets with the ol 8V is to stick with air flow mods. You can't really put a lot of power into that motor cause it'll blow like a grenade :)

·
Registered
176 Posts
Although not on a “students” budget, we were able to get 175HP from a NA 8V with MSS Cam & valve springs, K&N airfilter, Audi CIS unit and some reworked injectors from Barry Grant Fuel Service…..
Bench flowed head and 8V header.
Been “beating the Sh*t” out of this car at the races and it’s still going strong.

·
Registered
2,216 Posts
The 8valve is pretty sturdy, just make sure you redo the head gasket (a weak point on 8valves....ask me how I know :roll: ) and make sure the head is in spec before trying to pump it up too much. Since the 8Valve has mechanical lifters (rather than the 16valve's hydraulic design) it is much more efficient at high RPM's, this means you can go for an aggressive cam with less concern for valve float.

Once I finish school and my current MGBGT project, I will be turning my darling old 8valve into a rallycross car, looking for a reliable 160 horsepower out of it. In the meantime, headers and full exhaust (you might be able to remove a Cat on a car that old, check with your states regulations, and a good K&N intake setup. That will add a little more spunk to the engine.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
I completely agree with all said so far - and I think your best bet for more info is to talk to our resident Saab Nut Rhich :wink: He has seen it all and damn near done it all from the things I've heard and seen. 8)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
sounds cool, thanks for the advice. As far as the cat goes, state regs say anything with a model year older than 1984 is exempt from emissions tests. Mine is of course an '84, however what i saw did not state that its 1984s and older, so im guessing i just missed the cut-off. But thats just something i read offline, might not be accurate. But thanks again for letting me know about that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts