Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last weekend I went on a photography tour of old Route 66 in California. We stayed in Barstow for two nights, and spent out time driving on the old highway to abandoned houses, motels, gas stations, industrial sites, etc. The desert climate both weathers these things and preserves them, in an odd way.

I now understand why Hollywood makes so many post-apocalyptic movies -- the end of the world is just two hours away in the Mojave desert!

I took 1800 pictures in two and a half days. I put a selection of about a hundred up on my Flickr feed, here: Route 66 - Barstow highlights - a set on Flickr

(On a car related note, the car rental place was having a sale, so I rented a Mini Cooper convertible for the weekend - great car, what a blast. I was glad for the manumatic option, because in 6th gear the car did not have enough torque down low to do anything but cruise on flat road. And the interior plastics were hard and cheap. But the thing drove great!)

DSC_1261 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_1263 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_1436 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_1795 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_1775 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_1829 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_2047 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_2442 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_2517 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_1352 by gabbott66, on Flickr

DSC_1413 by gabbott66, on Flickr

·
Registered
459 Posts
Nice pics Greg! Love the one of all the petrol signs and also a sucker for nice sunset shots too!

Love to take that drive one day.

sab

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Cool pictures. Who's the guy with the dog? Is that a pitbull? What's to protect?!
That's Tom, of Tom's welding shop in Barstow. He collects Route 66 memorabilia, and does a lot of cool looking stuff at his shop. He's watching an employee (out of the picture off to the left) do some welding. The dog was just hanging around - it was pretty friendly, it came up to me and I petted it for awhile.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
Very cool Pictures.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Nice pics.

Not often that Barstow is considered a travel destination. I try to keep my eyes closed going through there. ;)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts