Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so most of you will remember my thread from earlier this week. Basically, One of my front pads (inner one the one by the piston) was worn all the way down. So the common theory is that I have a stuck caliper. maybe. Otherwise it just needs to be cleaned really well. So my question is, once I take out the pads, how do I tell beyond a doubt if my caliper actually needs to be replaced rather than just cleaned really well?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That woulda been my thought too but then I remembered this car needed
Special fancy power steering fluid so I decided to check that it actually will take regular dot4 spec fluid.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I probably know the answer to this but I have a problem. I changed all 4 brakes and bled the whole system. Now when I step on the brakes the pedal barely does
Anything until it almost floors out and then it gradually stops. If I pump the brakes the pedal stays firm.

I'm guessing I got air in the lines. Not sure how. Can anyone confirm my suspicion? How to fix?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
How did you bleed them? In what order and what method?
Im gonna answer this in great detail so that hopefully if I made a mistake, it can be pointed out to me. If I left something out, its probably because I didnt do it or didnt know to do it, not because I assumed its to basic to write.

using eEuroparts - Brake bleeder - # PB. I used a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid, and filled the reservoir to the fill line with new fluid (not all the way full). I then screwed the bleeder onto the reservoir (tho I didnt use teflon tape around the threads...mayhaps I should have). I pumped it up to about 15PSI (a little less). Then I bled each wheel in this order: driver front, driver rear, pass. front, pass. rear.

Each wheel was bled by attaching a piece of clear tubing to the bleeder nipple, unscrewing it several turns (not sure how many or if it matters, i kinda eyeballed it). I let the fluid drain until clear fluid was coming out. I watched it, and didnt really see any noticeable air bubbles. When clear fluid was coming out, I closed the valve, disconnected the tubing, and moved on to the next wheel. When all 4 were done, I drove out, and noticed the symptoms described above.
It sounds like you need to bleed them again... I would also check the condition of thee brake lines
I will try that tomorrow.....brake lines looked fine I checked them over.
I read somewhere that something similar to this can happen if the spring is installed incorrectly in the front, can someone tell me the exact way to put the spring in?

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Maybe try the gravity method to bleed the brakes?Thats how i bled mine when i redid my brakes upfront and all was well.. Ill see if i can find some pics of the spring and how it should sit
Im gonna answer this in great detail so that hopefully if I made a mistake, it can be pointed out to me. If I left something out, its probably because I didnt do it or didnt know to do it, not because I assumed its to basic to write.

using eEuroparts - Brake bleeder - # PB. I used a turkey baster to suck out the old fluid, and filled the reservoir to the fill line with new fluid (not all the way full). I then screwed the bleeder onto the reservoir (tho I didnt use teflon tape around the threads...mayhaps I should have). I pumped it up to about 15PSI (a little less). Then I bled each wheel in this order: driver front, driver rear, pass. front, pass. rear.

Each wheel was bled by attaching a piece of clear tubing to the bleeder nipple, unscrewing it several turns (not sure how many or if it matters, i kinda eyeballed it). I let the fluid drain until clear fluid was coming out. I watched it, and didnt really see any noticeable air bubbles. When clear fluid was coming out, I closed the valve, disconnected the tubing, and moved on to the next wheel. When all 4 were done, I drove out, and noticed the symptoms described above.

I will try that tomorrow.....brake lines looked fine I checked them over.
I read somewhere that something similar to this can happen if the spring is installed incorrectly in the front, can someone tell me the exact way to put the spring in?

·
Registered
5,111 Posts
Bleeding procedure sounds good. I also put flood into the pressure bleeder so it wouldn't force air in. Did you have to top up the reservoir during the procedure?

Spring Clip(courtesy of DIP):

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thank you.

Im not sure what you mean by the gravity method though. Can you please elaborate? Im tempted to just take it to a shop tomorrow, but that would defeat the purpose of this whole operation, lol.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
Bleeding procedure sounds good. I also put flood into the pressure bleeder so it wouldn't force air in. Did you have to top up the reservoir during the procedure?
What do you mean flood into the pressure bleeder?
I didn't have to top off the reservoir during the whole thing. Isnt that the whole point of the pressure bleeder that it tops it off for you?
Thanks, I will have to double check the spring tomorrow morning. But could it really mimic air in brake line symptoms if I put it in wrong?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks for all involed, turns out I had installed the two front retaining springs
Incorrectly. There was no air in the system. Problem solved!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts