Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok as some of you may have read in the past week i ran into some high water due to some fog and hydro planning. But i drained the engine and all associated piping, almost 2 gallons worth of water. I replaced the air filter, oil and spark plugs. Now i am thinking the battery is almost dead. The windows are very slow in going up. When i turn the ignition switch on, the fuel pump sounds like its sick and not the normal buzz it gives off.

When i try to crank it, i get a few quick clicks, my lights dim down...So i tried to jump her from my parents car. Turned thiers on and hooked up jumpers, and tried to fire up my engine, i think she cranked over once or twice but it seemed like not enough to get her going. Right now i could really use some diff options, please help with input

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Buy a new battery. I know this sounds drastic, but I only find they reliably last three years...maybe two if you live in the cold belt....

If that new battery doesn't hold the charge, then you KNOW it's your alternator -- which is what happened to me after hitting a huge puddle last winter.

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
You're getting clicking after attempted crank, so it's probably not the starter. The alternator is usually adversely affected by water much more than the starter, but you always want to search for the cheapest/easiest solution first.

New battery will eliminate that as a possibility (and will ALWAYS come in handy).....

·
Registered
156 Posts
You probably still have some water in the engine causing hydrolock.

I had to clean and re-oil the K&N, remove the intercooler and drain that, all associated pipes, vacuumed the cylinders through each spark plug hole (a lot of water there), throttle body etc. Don't forget to clean the IAC valve.

Drained and replaced the oil, new spark plugs. It ran. Whew!

I now stay away from floods.... ve-r-r-r-y far away....

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Coops93 said:
When i try to crank it, i get a few quick clicks, my lights dim down...So i tried to jump her from my parents car. Turned thiers on and hooked up jumpers, and tried to fire up my engine, i think she cranked over once or twice but it seemed like not enough to get her going.
This is a tough one...The dim lights and windows slow to go up aren't signs of hydrolock, but Vincent might be on to something. If, with a fresh battery, it turns over a couple of times but then it stalls out, then definitely suspect hydrolock. After attempting to start it a couple of dozen times with water in the engine, you probably exhausted the battery. (a diabolical cause and effect...)

let us know what happens....

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well went out and bought a new battery. Engine turns over but no firing. A friend of mine mentioned it may be the injectors. I will be following Vincents sugestions here in the next couple of days, will remove the IC and drain that and i plan to remove all associated piping, throttle body and check the injectors. Also i had forgoten about the IAC will have to give that a quick look for everything. thank you both for the pointers. i am disconnecting the battery and leaving it off after i try and start.

Last time i reconnected the battery, radio worked without a radio code <which i don't have> but i was gunna use that as an excuse to buy my alpine cd player i had been planning on. Will keep you guys updated thanks again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts