Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright so some of you might know i ran into some standing water 2 weeks ago...well i got her to fire and start running once again tonight. Took her outa the garage and around the block. First there was a high idle around 1800 rpm. So found some tape and i knew which vacuum line it was.

But i went to about 40 mph and went the 3rd and gave it alittle WOT, my boost didn't go into the yellow at all. ? anyone have any ideas of what this could be? I would really like to hear some advice? thanks in advance.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Is your performance poor...or about the same? Faulty gauge if performance good.

If poor got to think about more vacuum or boost hoses filled with water/condensation. Potential for water in the wrong places on the turbo....

Did you change your oil? Did you notice any milky or muddy discoloration of the oil? Did you replace your air filter? Did you check all vacuum lines? Did you pull the IC hoses and drain them? Did you check for water sitting in the bottom of the intake pipe on the turbo? Did you check the bypass/diverter valve? Did you spin the engine with the DI cassette disconnected, and IC pipes removed?

All I can think of...maybe someone else has more to add.

at least your running...especially if you had water in the block..

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i like BOOOBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!

check the trubooooo trubooooo truboooo and see how it is lubed up make sure nothing is clogged and such maybe hte turbo seized or cracked ...

·
Registered
156 Posts
To check the turbo, remove the tube that goes to the wastegate actuator, then (carefully!) go for a run around the block. You should get wild , uncontrolled boost :shock: , and can hit the electronic fuel cutout.

If this happens, your turbo is okay, and you can suspect a faulty BPC, sometimes known as a solenoid valve. This is the one with three hoses and one electrical connector. Not sure if you can clean it, but it should vibrate if you turn on the ignition but not start the engine. It cost me the equivalent of a hundred dollars US before discount here in Thailand. Ran much better after replacement.

Oh, almost forgot :roll: . Make sure the arm from the wastegate actuator hasn't fallen off the WG too.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yah i replaced the air filter and i had all the intake piping off and i took my IC into class and cleaned it, but only thing that stayed connected was the turbo. Car runs smooth just does not make boost. But there is a whistling noise that becomes apparent right as my car should be making boost. Best way i could describe the whistling noise would be a dentist drill...Thanks for the ideas will get started on trying the thing of removing the tube on the wastegate actuator tonight. Thanks for the help everyone :D

·
Registered
156 Posts
Did you also check your Bypass valve, as Steve has suggested? The whistling is probably coming from a split diaphragm there, and is an indication that the turbo is still working. To check:

remove both clamps holding the BPV in place, and take it out.
get a spare bit of vacuum hose, attach that to the barb.
Now, apply vacuum to the other end (not to sound rude, but s*ck on it... alternatively, just start the engine with the original line attached, there is vacuum on that line at idle)

You should feel the rubber diaphragm move against the spring.
If you block off the hose, the diaphragm should stay in place until you let go.

If this doesn't happen the BPV is shot and you will need a new one, but then you have a good excuse to go out and get a nice shiny Forge BPV :)

Make sure that all the other plumbing is tight. I once was losing boost at the rubber hose that connected the IAC to the throttle body..

To check the wastegate, grab hold of the rod from the WG actuator and move it towards the actuator (against the spring action keeping it closed). It will be quite strong pressure, but you can do it by hand.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts