Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i stupidly called the local shop today since im working xmas and wanted to use my two days off after to relax rather than work on a car.

eeuro sells the two seals for about $12, shop wants $60, oh and $330 to put them in. WTF! 120 bucks an hour much?

needles sto say i need to do them myself so that i can put the evo away and drive the viggen for the winter.

any tips?

i have a feeling my 100 ft/lb air gun wont be able to handle the crank pulley bolt so a new gun may be necessary.

any recommendations on circlip pliers? i have the generic small craftsman ones that constantly snap the tips. im having trouble locating what i think would be an adequately large set.

any other tips? i know to line up the arrows when putting the pump cover back on i think thats about it?

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
It wouldn't hurt to clean off the oil pump gears when you've got the cover off. You'll need a serious pair of snap ring pliers to get that thing apart....I think the ones we used on mine we MAC. For the outer seal, use some assembly lube.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I actually managed to use the set of harbor freight pliers to get my oil pump cover off.

and back on. and off again, about 20 times actually.

I had a hard time getting the oil pump to prime but that was a whole different issue.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It wouldn't hurt to clean off the oil pump gears when you've got the cover off. You'll need a serious pair of snap ring pliers to get that thing apart....I think the ones we used on mine we MAC. For the outer seal, use some assembly lube.
the question is how big. i cant find large ones.

i do not have a constant leak so im almost inclined to only do the outer seal.

or i could just stop being dumb and put the snows on the evo and push the viggen off a cliff.

·
7,595 Posts
Why would you not drive the Mitsubishi? It's a 4X4, isn't that the point of it, driving it in the winter? You could have just gotten the Mirage 1.8-L if you were not going to drive it in the snow ;)

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The rack would be an un necessary expense when I'm trying to recover from moving/initial apartment setup costs when I have a car with a full setup already.

Plus snow tires on viggen, all seasons on evo

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I snapped a few pictures of the snap ring to give you an idea of how big it is.

Yes that opening is roughly 2" wide when not snapped in place.

The holes are close to 3/16 in diameter.

Hope this helps.

·
7,595 Posts
Harbor freight sells a nice tool for this, check there. It makes short work of this job, and the tool is pretty cheap. It's a very close copy to the snap-on unit thats 10X the price and is intended for use on automatic transmission snap rings.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I don't know if you have "Knipex" here in the states, But they're very common in Norway, cheap and they get almost as big as you want them. Semi pro hardware stores usually have them.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts