Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone hooked up the oil pressure sending unit to the front of the motor? Seems much easier and roomier to get to since there's no starter/intake/vac lines to feel around. Plus, you can actually see what you're doing! lol

Took this pic on my old motor that's in the garage. The bolt seems to be the same as the one that's right above the starter in the back... Let me know if that's possible and if it's even an oil channel. Thanks

·
Registered
791 Posts
I think thats a coolant port. On my 900 turbo, which should have the same block, one of the coolant lines for the turbo bolts on there.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I think thats a coolant port. On my 900 turbo, which should have the same block, one of the coolant lines for the turbo bolts on there.
On a 9000....nothing bolts to that spot. Coolant lines go from the water pump to the turbo, then from the turbo to the thermostat housing, or on the older 9000's, back around the throttle body to the back of the block area.

I believe the oil pressure sensor location on yoru 9000 is on the back of the block, and it has 1 electrical prong stuck on it. Its about right smack dab in the middle; top to bottom, and left to right. Look down under the starter area. Easiest to see from underneath.

·
Registered
791 Posts
On a 9000....nothing bolts to that spot. Coolant lines go from the water pump to the turbo, then from the turbo to the thermostat housing, or on the older 9000's, back around the throttle body to the back of the block area.
Thats what I figured. He still wouldn't be able to use it for an oil pressure sender since its for coolant though.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I took the bolt out of the front of my old motor and it was sludgy instead of clean like I would think a coolant plug would be. I also took a white wire and put it into the hole, came out with black sludge as well. Matched up the bolts and they are the same too.
In regards to the rear oil passages, I took a pic as well from the stripped motor. My plan was initially to install it to where the bolt was and leave the stock sensor in place for backup. I'm a little gunshy do to the fact I have a old dead motor do to lack of oil pressure:rolleyes:

rear of motor: you can see the stock oil sensor on the right and hole where the bolt was on the left where alot of people hook them up.

Does anyone have a schematic on the passages? I'm just thinking it would be soo much easier up front. Wouldn't even have to jack up the car! lol

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thats what I figured. He still wouldn't be able to use it for an oil pressure sender since its for coolant though.
Just found a pic of a 900 with that as the coolant line banjo. That sucks. Don't see why they wouldn't just have the same set up for the 9k instead of going around the side of the motor... Worth a shot I guess.

Anybody know how and what is needed for knock sensor light? Thanks guys!

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
You dont need to jack the car up to get at the oil pressure sender. All you need is a 1/2 ratchet and extensions. The hardest part will be tightening the new sender although in my case with a pair of pliers I got it past snug and haven't leaked a drop. Hope this helps

·
Registered
12,348 Posts
Thats definitely a coolant port for the turbo. I think you've got the right idea by just moving the factory sender over and installing the gauge one in the middle on the back of the block.

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
I couldn't get my sender to fit in that port as the oil filler tube and such got in the way on a og9-3.

Doesn't matter right now as my oil sender has died.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Got it in last night. What PITA to get it tight in there!! I ended up using the port on the right and just disco'd the idiot light.
What ended up stalling me a couple days was that the sender that came with it was an odd size. It was m10x1.0 and I searched for 6 hours on the PC and went to 3 hardware stores for an adapter. After almost giving up, I went to Harbour Freight, bought their cheap one and was going to return the one I had. Low and behold, it had the right adapter! So, I kinda "borrowed" it and then returned the gauge.

Btw, what should I be running for pressure? I idle at 18-20 when it's warm...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts