Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The GTO intake isn't the only thing I've been working on this weekend...

So, I've had an oil pressure gauge in the dash of the Commemorative for about a year or so with the intention of installing the sending unit, trying to figure out how to adapt/tie it in to the car. So there it sat providing no value really.

Finally found some fittings through SAS. With the ABS manifold, coolant tank, heater hose and intake snorkle all right there, it makes for a tight fit. Oil filter changes were a challenge before, now it's really going to test my patience.

Biotch to install, but now that it's in, I finally have a real read on the oil situation. No more oil-light as the sender replaces the pressure switch.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
I just did this a few weeks ago on my SPG as well.

While I dont have the air box, or the ABS module taking up space, it was a bit of a pain in the ass. I had to hold the oil cooler lines up and out of the way just to thread the sender+adapter on. Eventually I got it on though, hoping hand tight was enough.

In this wicked cold weather, what kinda pressure are you seeing?

On cold start up at idle I've seen about 80psi. Once the engine warms up its about 20-40 at idle. But am always worried since on the highway at 80mph/3100rpm-ish I'm still up at 80 PSI.

Looks sweet, those sunpros close to the VDOs in your SE vert?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'm seeing the same. About 80 PSI.

No gauges in 'Vert actually. AutoMeter SportComps in the Commem. I've had VDO's in the past, but like the boost/vac combo on the AutoMeter while the VDO was boost only. So, once I did that gauge, I didn't really like the "mix and match" look and went AM all the way.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. I modified the standard DIN panel from SAS years ago to take on the slight curves of the lower console bin, and added countersunk screws and brackets out of some brass sheet. Here's some pics:

And an early shot with VDO gauges, before the console was installed...

·
Registered
4,252 Posts
Seems high to me as well. I'm used to seeing 60psi on the highway as well, and that's with a rebuilt engine with 5000 miles on it.

But then again, electric oil pressure senders are notoriously unreliable and can vary greatly. I had to send mine back twice, I'd really like a mechanical oil pressure gauge but I haven't found anything that would match my current gauges.

·
7,595 Posts
The correct sender to use is a dual output sender, VDO makes these. It has an output for the sender gauge as well as the oil pressure light on the dash - which is far more likely to grab your attention than a gauge mounted WAY below your normal sight line while driving.

VDO Gauges 360006 - VDO Pressure Senders - Overview - SummitRacing.com

If you have disabled your light to add a gauge, I would highly recommend getting the dual output sender in order to keep the functionality of the light too.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The correct sender to use is a dual output sender, VDO makes these. It has an output for the sender gauge as well as the oil pressure light on the dash - which is far more likely to grab your attention than a gauge mounted WAY below your normal sight line while driving.

VDO Gauges 360006 - VDO Pressure Senders - Overview - SummitRacing.com

If you have disabled your light to add a gauge, I would highly recommend getting the dual output sender in order to keep the functionality of the light too.
Just so happens I got the VDO sender when I got the adapter. I'll swap it out this weekend. Drawing board isn't much of an issue at all, really.

Note to Dan the Kid, invest in a strap-wrench -- I got a Klein tools strap-wrench at the local True Value HW store. I wouldn't count on hand tightening it to be enough.

As far as it being high, I kinda thought so, too. Bentley indicates 39 PSI at 2000 RPM. Reading WAY beyond that. And clearly have been so for years.

So, Delorean, if I understand your post correctly, the reading I'm seeing is incorrect because the sender is sending wrong readings? I.e., wrong sender?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Note to Dan the Kid, invest in a strap-wrench -- I got a Klein tools strap-wrench at the local True Value HW store. I wouldn't count on hand tightening it to be enough.
Agreed, its on the list.

Surprisingly though....no leaks....yet...

·
7,595 Posts
Jim, that I don't know for sure. Check the operational ohm range of your gauge Vs your sender, make sure they are compatible. Don't quote me on this, but I think if you have a VDO sender and a VDO gauge, it should be correct. For example, the one I posted is -

Sending Unit Thread Size M10 x 1
Sender Ohm Range 0 ohms to 180 ohms

I don't know if that is correct for your cars threads or your gauge itself. Check this first, then order the correct dual output sender, and you will have a properly working gauge as well as a properly working warning light. The output for the warning light is simply 12 volts on or off, which will kick on when the pressure if below 7 PSI, it is not a resistance. Make sure you don't get those 2 outputs mixed up.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
wow what a difference in price 25$ from summit with thread addapter and 59 from sas
Well, "adapter" from SAS is a bit misleading: the fittings included the adapter, a coupling and then a 45 degree brass angle -- these to be used to angle the sender out and away from the alternator towards the oil filler tube I suppose. But in actuality, it would have made it even worse as far as oil filter changing, so all those were nixed.

The coupling and bend I didn't use. Had I known what I now know, I probably would have gone to Summit -- I just had no clue what the thread pitch was on the pressure switch, whereas I knew the one from SAS would be correct. So at the time, I felt the premium was worth it to know it would work.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
VDO sender now installed with the dual output on an Autometer gauge: warning light and gauge both work, reading about 30 PSI @ 2000 RPM. A little low. Clearly the gauge and sender should not be mixed. Looks like i'll be getting the VDO gauge for the oil pressure after all.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts