Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had this checked out by the dealership awhile ago and they said the leaking was minimal and it would not result in anything "drastic". The only way to fix it was to get a whole new distributor...Oil seems to leak from the base of the distributor and down the side of the block. Anyone ever dealt with this type of problem, and know of a decent fix?

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
yep - it's the "O- Ring" gasket that fits onto the distributor if it's anything like an 87 9000T car. about a 40cent part dollar tops - and about 10 minutes of self repair and th leak is fixed.

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Distributor O-ring for any 85-98 900 4 cyl., 9000 86-89. Saab O.E.
#9176470 Distributor O-ring $0.99

Guess I should have suspected an o-ring at first...Is it wise to buy this before removing the distributor in case the o-ring is broken and could cause more damage by removing the distributor from the cylinder head?

Any tips on removing the distributor?

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Damn! Called my local dealership for this part since I didn't want to pay shipping at eeuroparts and it's $2.60. Probably cheaper here without shipping, so I'll just pick it up at my dealership..

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
That sucks - I have a employee discount at my Local Dealer :p I got the hook up one day and they put me on their system with that shit - how nice was that. Problem is - I almost NEVER use it :roll:

·
Registered
2,646 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I bought this o-ring part....Took the distributor out and there was no where for it to go. So I assumed it might go on the very end of the distributor on that last part that touches the block of the engine. So it would seal that up and prevent any oil leakage....So I installed it there and began tightening the bolt to put the distributor back on when I hear this crack....I thought I might have broken the o-ring so I removed the distributor again only to find that I cracked the base of the distributor! What bad luck! So I patched it up using some strong ass glue, but the oil leak is only worse now...Since the piece that holds the distributor onto the block is alittle bent, pushing the distributor further away from the block, allowing more oil to slip out...So I am out to buy a new distributor....Wanted to get a new one so it will look nice in there...But ran across a used one for pretty cheap...I don't know what I want to do yet...Damn bad luck...

Oh and the dealership must have screwed up the order, cause it didn't look anything like this one:

It was a lot smaller and skinnier....I saw the o-ring on the distributor after all this happened...A lot bigger, and stronger....And it was fine...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts