Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey,

I took my engine to a shop today where they going to rebuild and balance it.

I like to have extra oil cooling for the pistons and the shop was talking about 4 1mm holes in the main bearing scales so that it sprays extra oil on the hot side from the piston. Is this the right way to do it?

If someone got any pictures from it i whould appreciate it!:)

Greetings, Benjamin

·
10,303 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
It sounds to me like they are going to drill angled into the main bearing journal to 'make' an oil squirter.

I do not think this is a good idea at all, you may run into oil pressure issues - the piston squirters are important for more modern engines with much much much thinner pistons that run leaner mixtures and higher CR.

Unless you're putting in super-skinny slugs I don't think this is a good idea, or necessary.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My setup is like this:

Shotpeened rods.
Balance crankshaft, flywheel with pressure plate, and the poelie.
91 mm Wossner forged pistons.
Klevite HD bearings.
+300 brake horse power!;)

Cooling the pistons from underneath helps a lot for avoiding knock, and it is better for the pistons on the long term.

http://www.kb-silvolite.com/test/article.php?action=read&A_id=64

http://www.opel-forum.nl/viewthread.php?tid=118816

The shop took it up as a option to dril a small hole from the oil feed line to the side from the main bearing case pointed to the side on the piston where the most heat is produced.

IIRC the later c900 engines had piston oilers idk the year split tho
What do you mean with this? My english is not so good!:)

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yep, EPC is saying that the 9000 2.3 longblock from 90- have piston cooling nozzles.
B202 never have this!

The NG900 got this from the frist model in 94-.

Conclusion is that the 2.3 longblock and all the T5 engines got this fitted.

I think the best solution for it is rod with a internal oil feedline to the piston pin with a small hole drilled in it pointed on the hot side from the piston.
But then i need other rods and they are not cheep!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have numerous gearboxes so thats not a problem. I can swich a tranny in one day!;)

I,am saving for a better gearbox from the guy in Zweden. Maybe one with traight tooth, 4 gears, 8 primare, LSD in a chilcast:D.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts