Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so im about to do my oil change and last time i did it i cross threaded the drain plug. so when my dad came home he went bizerk on me and never showed me the correct way. so heres the Q.
...how to change the oil correctly? lol
primarily how to unscrew and screw the drain plug without messing up
thanks!!

·
Registered
3,270 Posts
Thread it in by had before wrenching on it. Its hard to cross thread if you just use your fingers.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
so i take it out with a wrench, and put it back by hand, and tightn it with my hand as much as i can, then tighten it just a little more with the wrench right?
(make any correction if needed)

·
Registered
287 Posts
Well if it is cross threaded already then it will more than likely do it again since the plug damaged the threads in the pan or (HOPEFULLY) the plug is damaged, take the plug out and look at the threads on both the pan and plug, if either look not right then you have to get it fixed.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
so i changed the oil. the only problem was that my dad put a silicone ring on the plug and it was so annoying to scrap it off. and the dumb puraltor busted when trying to remove it. i hope the new bosch filter wont bust next oil change

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
so i changed the oil. the only problem was that my dad put a silicone ring on the plug and it was so annoying to scrap it off. and the dumb puraltor busted when trying to remove it. i hope the new bosch filter wont bust next oil change
Just go easy on em, and use the proper size filter wrench if you can get hold of one. I've seen a few cross threaded plugs in my time so far, and I think most are probably due to people just not paying attention. If it feels weird threading back in, then you're doing something wrong. Ha, that sounded dirty.

·
Registered
1,001 Posts
Drain plugs are soft too, use 6 point sockets to take it off. I've rounded 2 so far in the last 5 years of owning my Viggen. Be sure the copper washer is in decent condition, I replace mine about once a year.

Shouldn't need a filter wrench to take the oil filter off - just screw it on until its snug, and go a quarter turn past that.

Chris

·
Registered
890 Posts
People laugh at me for writing an oil change tutorial, this situation is exactly why, please read my tutorial, hopefully it will help you: http://sites.google.com/site/pierecksaab/home/saab-links/tutorial-write-ups/oil-change

Yep, always rub some oil on the gasket of the new filter before installing. Also, make sure you have a copper crush washer between the drain plug and the oil pan, it keeps you from over tightening stuff, as the copper will deform before you break anything.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Hey, everybody has to start somewhere. The assumption that each and every member of a car forum knows how to turn a wrench and change the oil on a car is what is fundamentally wrong.

I am a Staff Sergeant in the US Army, and a helicopter mechanic. I deal day in and day out with junior mechanics who lack basic mechanical knowledge, most of my work day is spent teaching these kids how to fix helicopters. I never assume that any of those "qualified" helicopter mechanics really know their stuff, although a few of them really surprise me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts