Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about that time again and my question is this..... In order to put the cold air on my 9-5 I had to remove the air box completely. DId I just void my extended warranty? The box is 300 miles away at my friends house and I don't want to push my engine on old oil.

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
mike saunders said:
No, you're fine...

Your warranty should be ok with aftermarket parts...
Are you sure about that? I've heard otherwise.

I think certain aftermarket parts will void...like upgraded ECU (obviously), or a MBC. Intakes im unsure of, but I highly doubt it will void your warranty just for an intake.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
i know of a guy that has an '03 WRX with full exhaust (headers, DP, muffler, up pipe, no cats) CAI, BOV. and he would blow fire balls outa his exhaust and ended up cracking the head or a cam shaft and put it all back to stock and got a whole new engine..

so what they dont know cant hurt em

right :wink: right :wink:

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
They can't void your warranty just because you have aftermarket parts, which is a sleazy tactic that dealers used to do to weasel out of performing covered repairs. The big exception to this is if any subsequent damage is caused by the aftermarket part, say, an MBC, which is designed to bypass the stock electronic controls. ECUs are in a gray area if they stay within certain parameters, but I definitely don't know the law well enough to advise about them....(I'm damn sure getting one, though...)

from the Specialty Equipment Markert Association, trade group representing most major manufacturers of aftermarket parts:

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))

This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided.

·
Trollerator
9,830 Posts
mike saunders said:
They can't void your warranty just because you have aftermarket parts, which is a sleazy tactic that dealers used to do to weasel out of performing covered repairs. The big exception to this is if any subsequent damage is caused by the aftermarket part, say, an MBC, which is designed to bypass the stock electronic controls.
That's true, but the point is they will find a reason if they want to.

My example I use is putting a k&N filter can void the warranty on the MAF sensor or anything that comes after it along the chain. dirt gets into the turbo, they will blame the K&N. The oild from the filter supposedly fouls up the MAF sensor so that will not be covered. The Saab warranty personnel at the dealer gave me that example. They said, "if you wanna put in a filter/intake, I could care less, as long as we don't ever see it when you come in here, we will still cover the warranty repairs" then he winked at me. He was a younger guy, so he was cool. Basically, mod at your own risk in regards to warranty, and if you are serious about keeping the warranty intact, stick to easily reversible mods than can be changed out in 10 minutes, like keep a paper air filter around to drop in for oil changes and keep your stock ecu to drop in for dealer visits.

They can't/shouldn't void your warranty just because you show up with Eibach springs, but they will make a note of it and if you show up another time with a problem related to the suspension and they can blame it on the springs, they sure will try their best. They may nto end up getting away with it, but it might be more time and hassle and even consultations with lawyers, is it worth it?

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Just took a look at an Audi site and the folks there complained that they were told the same thing: Mods are ok, but when bringing the car in for warranty service you want to clear off as much as possible.....what the dealers don't see, they can't bitch about....

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
i remember when i first heard of VWs getting chips put int about 8 years ago... they would sotter in clips so the chip could b removed and replaced witht he stock one when warranty or repairs were to b made this is why the ppc is appealing to some as aposed to the ecu reprograms

1 - 8 of 8 Posts