Saab Link Forums banner
824 views 40 replies 24 participants last post by  DanF. 
#1 · (Edited)
Giving stoners everywhere a reason to believe that they, too, can become Olympic gold medalists.

News of the World said the picture was taken during a November house party while Phelps was visiting the University of South Carolina. During that trip, he attended one of the school's football games and received a big ovation when he was introduced to the crowd.

While the newspaper did not specifically allege that Phelps was smoking pot, it did say the pipe is generally used for that purpose and anonymously quoted a partygoer who said the Olympic champion was "out of control from the moment he got there."

"He grabbed the bong and a lighter and knew exactly what to do," a witness said of the swimming superstar, according to the News of the World report.

"He looked just as natural with a bong in his hands as he does swimming in the pool. He was the gold medal winner of bong hits."

"I engaged in behavior which was regrettable and demonstrated bad judgment," Phelps said in the statement released by one of his agents. "I'm 23 years old and despite the successes I've had in the pool, I acted in a youthful and inappropriate way, not in a manner people have come to expect from me. For this, I am sorry. I promise my fans and the public it will not happen again."

This isn't the first embarrassing episode for Phelps after an Olympic triumph. In 2004, a few months after winning six gold and two bronze medals in Athens, the swimmer was arrested on a drunken driving charge at age 19. He pleaded guilty and apologized for the mistake.
http://msn.foxsports.com/other/story/9160136?MSNHPHCP&GT1=39002

See less See more
#7 ·
Can you imagine the size of the bong rip that guy can take?

His lungs must be the size of basketballs.

Also, GA, does that sticker on the side of the bong look familiar?

:)
It's a ROOR bong. I got to smoke one once, it was unbelievable. I can see why he wouldn't want to pass that up.

#6 ·
Yeah I don't think it's that big of a deal, but he is a "role model". I can see where people are coming from when they say he shouldn't do these things, especially when he knows he could be in front of a camera.

On the other hand, he's 23 years old and has been thrust into stardom, so we shouldn't expect him to act any differently from the other young moronic celebrities out there.

#8 ·
Everybody smokes pot.

http://frankdiscussion.netfirms.com/who_celebtokers.html

Steven King
"I think that marijuana should not only be legal, I think it should be a cottage industry. It would be wonderful for the state of Maine. There's some pretty good homegrown dope. I'm sure it would be even better if you could grow it with fertilizers and have greenhouses. . .
Woody Harrelson
"I do smoke, but I don't go through all this trouble just because I want to make my drug of choice legal. It's about personal freedom. We should have the right in this country to do what we want, if we don't hurt anybody. Seventy-two million people in this country have smoked pot. Eighteen to 20 million in the last year. These people should not be treated as criminals."

#14 ·
I don't smoke, never tried it, never will. I just feel bad for the guy, he's only human. I don't understand why people are so concerned with his actions. He never asked to be a role model, the media made him one. As a semi pro cyclist, if I ever got to Lance's level (which I'll never come close to) I would hate it the media coverage and such that puts so much weight on your shoulders. If what you're doing doesn't affect your performance, or even if it does since its your body, I don't see why it matters.

#24 ·
LOL at people who actually care what celebrities do in their off time, it makes his 14 gold medals that more impressive if he can do it with diminished lung capacity. So he liked to smoke a little bit of god's herb, thats his right, don't tell him how to live. I cry every time I think about how much tax payer $$ we spend fighting a plant thats been around for thousands of years.

#27 ·
As a coach of high school athletes, I can tell you that one does not choose to be a role model. If you are a high performer, or in a position of leadership, you simply are a role model. You don't get the choice.

Which is why it's too bad some young kids who idolize Phelps will see this image and get the wrong idea about drugs in general (not just pot).

#35 ·
soo I know through a friend that Michael Phelps does actually smoke pot.
I have a friend, who smokes everyday, and her sister that lives in Florida, is dating Ryan Lochte. for those of you who don't know who that is- its Phelps' teammate. anyways to tie it all together. she (my friend) was passing a blunt around with lochte, phelps, & phelps' bother over thanksgiving break.
for what its worth, they also enjoyed deep fried turkey.

i hold no opinion on his actions. i just provide the facts.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.