Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From the Lancaster, PA, press:

A New Holland teen who claims he was putting a friend's new car to the test was cited for what may be the fastest speed on record here -- 158.1 mph. The official speeding ticket issued by the Northwest Regional Police Department to Edwin R. Nolt could easily by mistaken for a typo.
"Exceeding 65 mph for all vehicles by 93 mph," it reads.
But it's no mistake.
Nolt even claims the speedometer in his friend's newly acquired 5-year-old turbocharged Saab sedan hit its peak of 160 -- not 158.1 -- on Route 283 in Mount Joy Township in September.

Read more: New Holland teen cited for going 158.1 mph - LancasterOnline.com News

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
Oh, that's someone that needs a course in press relations.

The on-the-record response to a question from a reporter about going 158.1 mph should not be, "nah, it was really 160!"

Clearly this kid's a thrill-seeker.

·
Registered
2,984 Posts
It could have gone at least another 10 to 20 mph," he said. "But the speedometer only went to 160 mph."
Nolt, who is 19, pleaded guilty to reckless driving and the speeding citation and was fined a total of $565.50.
Asked what it was like to be going so fast, he replied: "It was dark, so you couldn't really see how fast you were going. But you do see this stuff rushing by.
The moron was driving this fast *at night* ****with three passengers in the car****

His licensed ought to be pulled for longer than six months. IMHO.

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
PA rocks, $565 isn't too bad for 93 over the limit. I'm pretty surprised he got it up that fast too, must have had a real long stretch or the car must have been tuned. What's really shocking though is that the cop managed to catch up to him at that speed, he either slowed way down when he saw the cop, or there was a radio involved.

Paul

·
7,595 Posts
Also, the ticket had they not slammed him for the extra bonus of wreckless driving would have been more along the lines of $280ish. That was an officers digression ticket. Yeah. They got me again tonight!

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Damn the fastest i ever hit was in the 911 (@ 2am with no traffic in sight), around 265, ironically on 283 as well (mexico though of course). The 335 hits its electronic buzzkill maker around 150. 283 is a convenient road to go fast on because there are lots of straight areas with good visibililty and few places for the law to hide. I dont really do that shit anymore, top speed runs aren't really my cup of tea.

·
Registered
7,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And here I was pretty proud of myself for making the trip between Harrisburg and Jersey City in less than 2.5 hours. Apparently, I was driving like a granny compared to other Penna Saab folks.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
If this kid had done that in VA, they'd cut his dick off and feed it to his family. Anything less than a couple weeks in jail for 158 w/ passengers is kind of amazing.

Also, go Saab. Wonder if it was a 9-3 or 9-5.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
A 5 year old 9-3 or 9-5?

I know mine is limited to 155mph. I've only hit 130 on the Autobahn, alone in the car on an unrestricted stretch during the day.

In fact 130mph is probably the fastest I've driven any car.

·
7,595 Posts
well, 2 items. He was clocked with vascar (which is basically just a stopwatch), and the MIU in 9-5's reads high. In my 99 9-5, when it reads maximum on the gauge (155), it has not even broken 150 on the GPS. Likely he was doing more like 150-155ish, not 160 just sayin.

·
Registered
3,998 Posts
there was a stretch in mexico where i pegged the speedometer in my tuned ng900

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
The moron was driving this fast *at night* ****with three passengers in the car****

His licensed ought to be pulled for longer than six months. IMHO.
This. Unbelievable that anyone would decide that this type of behavior is in any way OK. We all like to go fast but this is disgusting.

I'm glad they got caught, and that no one got hurt.

·
Registered
4,702 Posts
Well, it was until Luca left... That must have been a 9-3 Aero or 9-5 Aero, I don't see a regular 2.0T 9-3 getting up to that speed. I know people who have had more expensive tickets going 20 over, what a slap on the wrist.

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
well, 2 items. He was clocked with vascar (which is basically just a stopwatch), and the MIU in 9-5's reads high. In my 99 9-5, when it reads maximum on the gauge (155), it has not even broken 150 on the GPS. Likely he was doing more like 150-155ish, not 160 just sayin.
I believe that it was vascar because they listed how fast he traveled X amount of distance in X amount of time. Glad that no one was hurt, I would never do something like that with a car full of people, too many lives in my hands. Although nowadays id be unlikely to do it at all, doesn't really add much thrill to my life

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
such acts are illegal in the US :|
Does a bear shit in the woods? Does a tree make a sound when it falls if no-one is around to hear it?

"Cop didn't see it, I didn't do it"

Besides - DeLorean can't break 140mph on the PA Turnpike ;) ****

I believe I was sitting shotty in his Pontiac Sunbird once when it cleared 140 on the "sure-kill" expressway once. (Speed Limiter Cut Off Switch Was Activated).

1 - 20 of 48 Posts