Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
well since it seems like theres some interest in an event like Ultimate Saab day in the US, i figured i'd try and get things started. To tell you all the truth Delorean and I have been kicking around the idea of this kind of even for a while now, we just didnt really have any idea exactly what we should do.

so the issues that we need to figure out:

1. How many people can we realistically get committed to this event, we would need a definite answer once we found a location, but for now just let us know if youre interested at all.

2. Where are we going to do this? Really depends what we can find, it seems like most racetracks do offer track rentals on a daily basis, prices even seem decent. What i would really like to see personally is a location like USD, an airport or something like that where top speed is acheivable :twisted: . I think our best bet would be somewhere on the east coast, but if the location is good enough im sure we could go further west.

3. When should we shoot for? I'm thinking that summer, maybe june/ july should be good, that way school wouldnt be an issue for those of us who attend.

4. who wants to help me organize this mess! PM me if you can help at all.

any other comments/ suggestions are very welcome.

Paul

disclaimer: since the phrase "Ultimate Saab Day" is the intellectual property of Matt Faulks, i'd jsut like to make it clear that I am in no way affiliated with "Ultimate Saab Day" and clearly, this isnt going to be an ultimate saab day, but it should be Pretty Damn Good!

·
Registered
556 Posts
I would be interested, If it was at the right time. I would drive pretty much anywhere to go to it, Ive been dying for road trip. Eastern area would work and june/july would be great time. Once you find a place, it will be easy. :D

·
Registered
392 Posts
Sounds like a great idea. I am def interested in finally getting my ass out to one of these big events. As long as it s over the summer and stays relatively close ot the east coast im down for sure. If not, im willing to travel a bit to meet all of you and hopefully my N/A will keep up with you cool turbo people :oops: maybe some of the work ill be doing over winter break and early summer will help out...By the way since i came to school at villanova ive noticed a lot of saabs driving around the area. Do any of you guys happen to be trveling on route 30 lancaster ave ever??

·
HNNLIC
4,209 Posts
You know im interested. If timed correctly, I may trailor my car up. :twisted:

·
7,595 Posts
summer is good for me, anytime anyplace. I like the salt flats idea myself when ever it is that they do the top speed trials would be good, but there are also so many other places to go in the US too, need to kick a few ideas around here.

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
yeah - but ppl like me who have school all year round will hafta take time off from school for said event - so the closer to me the better :p I'm in - but I need to know about how much and when. SPG best be on the road by then or heads will roll...

·
7,595 Posts
BurnsSide42 said:
yeah - but ppl like me who have school all year round will hafta take time off from school for said event - so the closer to me the better :p I'm in - but I need to know about how much and when. SPG best be on the road by then or heads will roll...
oh please, you can take a few weeks off. get over it, nothing is so important that it can't wait till later! :lol:

·
Registered
10,049 Posts
DeLorean said:
BurnsSide42 said:
oh please, you can take a few weeks off. get over it, nothing is so important that it can't wait till later! :lol:
I am counted on hours - every hour I miss - I hafta make up. I am allowed about 1 day per class off....

·
Registered
140 Posts
this blows for me .. ii'm in Minnesota~ :evil: but during the school year its easier for me cuz i'm at the university of kentucky

·
Registered
6,468 Posts
Why just one day for fun? Why not something like this?

http://www.comscc.org/

The track dates are at Sears Point, Lime Rock, Watkins Glen, NHIS and a couple of others in Canada for our touque-wearing Northern homies....

Prices are relatively cheap for a racing club, and you run all-out on a real race track, not around cones in a parking lot.

Ultimate Saab Say would be a LOT harder to organize in the US because of the huge insurance premiums needed to cover any suitable facility.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Are we planning road rally, drag races.., off road?

Summit Point in West Va., is one of the more popular places for track days... and even offer driving training. Might also be more centralized on the East Coast. They support SAAB days, if planed ahead in time.

We might be able to get some of the SAAB clubs in the area, to sponsor the event on a limited level.

I did a search on West Va.., raceways.., still reading on each as I go, so not sure if all of the places listed below meet the requirement, so some may not apply.

Elkins Motor Speedway
Ff2000 Raceway
H Corridor Speedway Inc
Hatfield Mc Coy Speedway
High Country Motor Sports
Interstate 79 Speedway Inc
Jason Minnite Motorsports
Mountaineer Raceway
Paul's Off Road Racing
Raceway Enterprises Inc
Summit Point Raceway
West Virginia Motor Speedway
Wheeling Downs Racetrack

·
Registered
5,805 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
DC_SAAB said:
i think at this point we're going for a track of some kind, i'm actually checking with an airport by me that might be willing to rent it to us for the day :wink: but more on that later.

DC_SAAB said:
We might be able to get some of the SAAB clubs in the area, to sponsor the event on a limited level.
i have spoken to the NYSOC and we have their full support on this one, just like my dyno day over the summer.

DC_SAAB said:
I did a search on West Va.., raceways.., still reading on each as I go, so not sure if all of the places listed below meet the requirement, so some may not apply.

Elkins Motor Speedway
Ff2000 Raceway
H Corridor Speedway Inc
Hatfield Mc Coy Speedway
Mountaineer Raceway
Paul's Off Road Racing
Raceway Enterprises Inc
Summit Point Raceway
Wheeling Downs Racetrack
if you could get some general pricing info that would be helpful, just in case this airport thing falls through.

We were also considering making this a Swedish track day, rather than just saab, i.e. ask the crazies over on Turbobricks if theyre interested, that way we can get more cars and hopefully keep the price reasonable. Anyone have any thoughts on this? might be kinda fun, make it more of a competive sorta thing.

Paul

·
Registered
556 Posts
I wouldnt mind the Turbobricks guys being there, used to be on the forum when I had a volvo, and may keep prices down.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Summit generally has their car clubs to show up on FATT (Friday At The Track )days... see link below... I'll contact them in the AM for any price breaks.., because there are some option packages..

http://www.bsr-inc.com/FATT.HTM

for those of you too lazy to see the link...

Vehicle Eligibility
Street cars on street tires. (Certain SUV's and trucks are eligible. You must call for approval.)
Roll bars are mandatory for all convertibles.
Functional factory or "pop up" roll bars are acceptable such as Porsche Boxster or BMW Z3.
Driver's and passenger's seat must provide identical protection, including seat belts and roll bar padding.
Some racecars from various sanctioning bodies are FATT eligible provided they meet all BSR tech requirements. This includes a passenger seat for all Group 1 and Group 2I participants.
General Rules
Cars will be tech inspected for safety.
Helmets required. Any DOT-approved motorsports helmet is acceptable. Loaners are available.
Participants should keep safety equipment in proportion to performance modifications.
Gate opens at 7:45 am.
Everyone must attend the driver's meeting. Registration closes at 8:45 am for Group 1, 10:15 am for Group 2. You should arrive one hour prior to allow enough time for the technical inspection. You will not be able to participate if you miss the driver's meeting.
FATT is a great place to develop confidence behind the wheel of your car, and practice the basics of high performance driving.
Cost
$225 per person if we receive your registration two weeks prior to the event.
$245 thereafter. Preregistration is required to reserve your spot.

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
DC_SAAB said:

Summit Point in West Va., is one of the more popular places for track days... and even offer driving training. Might also be more centralized on the East Coast. They support SAAB days, if planed ahead in time.

Elkins Motor Speedway
Ff2000 Raceway
H Corridor Speedway Inc
Hatfield Mc Coy Speedway
Mountaineer Raceway
Paul's Off Road Racing
Raceway Enterprises Inc
Summit Point Raceway
Wheeling Downs Racetrack
WV, im down for anywhere, WV is real close, there is also Beaver Run, which is a reall fun course, with a drviable gocart track aswell, they also have a vehicle dynamics area that an auto cross could be set up
beaverun.com

·
Registered
363 Posts
i would most defently be interested in a track day. As long as its with in a days drive to the track.

I will have to upgrade wheels/tires.....or just use an almost bald set of 16" superaero's. Brakes i'll just run crossdrilled (hope for no crackage) an axxis pads. Rest of the car i'll leave stock, really interested in what the car can do stock, figure i'll max out a stock car with upgraded wheels/tires/slightly brakes.

ian

·
7,595 Posts
oh yeah, this is going to be a blast. Ian, we should convoy up like we did to saabtoberfest. maybe we can get a few more to convoy up with this time.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts