Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1981 8v c900 sedan, 1990 2.0 9k carlsson, 1992 21 c900 sedan
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you will know, some time back I fitted an Odyssey PC-925 battery to my 81 turbo sedan by mounting it on it's side using the stock turbo c900 battery tray utilising a modified 8V engine power steering pump bracket to brace the battery off the engine bay wall and a home-made (previously in the 82 turbo sedan I stripped in late 2007) battery heatshield and bracket to secure the battery in place against the modified PS bracket, etc. as per this pic (I have changed the cabling and painted up all the rust since it was taken!):

CCSW page

Well this week I finally started installing another of those batteries into my 1989 900i however I have used a commercial bracket specially made for the PC-925 to secure it on it's side just like in the 1981 turbo car, and I carefully positioned it so that I have enough room to fit turbo engine parts at a later date as I still plan on converting the engine to a turbo config.

The pics showing what I've done (they're all going on Flickr as well BTW) are contained in an album here for your viewing pleasure! :cool:

At the moment I still need to obtain a longer replacement positive cable as the one I found was a bit too short but it does fit without being properly secured. The bracket itself needs painting (it's normal steel not stainless) and the other positive cable going from the battery to the distribution block near the cabin air intake is a little too short as well as I needed to cut some off to remove a decayed part next to the old battery terminal that itself had become quite badly corroded as well.

Also, the base of the new battery needs a protective heatshield which is not so much of a problem now but will be when the turbo parts are fitted since the exhaust elbow will be very close to the exposed bottom of the battery. I might use a piece of metal sheet fitted inside the bracket, or create a custom shield like the one in the 81 turbo car. Something to ponder on...

Craig.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
hows the power output on those batts? i see it 380cca thats quite a bit less than OEM. i want one for that race car!
I don't have any problem with the PC925 in my 81 turbo sedan but that car has a lot less electrickery than the 89 900i and currently no sound system, etc.

I am looking to put an Odyssey battery in my 1990 9k carlsson in a few months time and the PC1200 seems a good match for the size of the battery tray. It might not fit a C900 battery tray but if anyone has tried a PC1200 out in a C900 batt tray, please give some feedback on it.

Craig.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
What is special about an odyessy battery? Should I look into getting one?

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What do these weigh in relations to a normal battery? Are these Gel or glass bottom?
The PC925 weighs about 11 to 12 kg. It's quite a lot smaller than the 'standard' size battery used in a classic 900 or a 9000. A PC1200, which is close to the size of a regular battery for a Saab, weighs a fair bit more. I don't have a PC1200 yet.

They are AGM (meaning Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries. The Optima batteries use exactly the same technology but with a different type of physical construction.

The Odyssey batteries can be mounted in any position except upside down. I don't know if the Optima batteries have that same mounting flexibility. I've mounted PC925's in my 81 turbo sedan and now in the 89 900i hatchback on their side with the battery terminals at the top facing the right side engine bay wall (with bracketing to keep each one properly mounted with terminals about 20 to 25 mm away from the car body).

The Odyssey batteries usually come with a metal jacket that provides physical protection for all four sides, but not the bottom. I'll be getting a piece of stainless steel sheet to protect the bottom of the PC925 in the 89 900i.

Craig.

PS. Odyssey batteries are highly recommended in circuit racing circles, which is why I ultimately decided to go with that style instead of the Optima style.

·
Registered
1,017 Posts
I mounted the smallest Optima battery I could find in the hatch of my '85t

I made a plywood cover for it and since this picture was taken I have covered it with OEM carpet.

It starts the car in below zero temps, though it's a little sluggish.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Now in 2021 I'm running a 1992 2.1 sedan as my daily driver - I still own my 81 turbo 8v car but it's been out of action for about 5 yrs. I'm considering a PC680 battery for the 2.1 car to replace the existing standard din-53 lead-acid one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts