Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'95 9K, 209K

Most of today, tach was completely dead. No needle bouncing around, the car ran fine, just 0 RPM all the time.

This afternoon it came back, mostly. Seems like anything over 1200 RPM or so, it will register, but when the car drops below that, the tach goes to 0, including at idle.

Like I said, car seems fine. A few weeks ago the tach had a weird moment where it bounced at startup, but the erratic behavior went away within a few seconds. No problems since.

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Aero did the same thing for awhile. Then it completely died.

I replaced it with one from another 9k cluster and its been working fine ever since.

I think it was an internal problem with the tach. Now mind you I took it apart looking it see what was wrong with it and couldn't visually see anything. I'd just look up for a used 9k cluster to swap the tach section out.

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good to know, thanks. At this point, being an auto, I don't mind being tachless.

When I do get ahold of a working cluster, is it basically just a matter of swapping the module off the back of the tach?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Yup.

First remove the EDU, then the tachs four screws holding it down, gotta be careful of the foil. You may need to loosen some of the other screws around the other sections.

Also just make sure you put the same screws that came out back in the same holes. I forget which, but some of the screws are different length, and can potentially poke through the face of the cluster.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Lift up the dash cap first and just make sure the connectors are all plugged in firm and you don't have a corroded pin or something before you go buy a cluster, I bought my '93 with inop speedo and service records from 2 years before of shop trying to diagnose it - replaced trans. speed sender, repaired connector, ABS / TCS hydraulic block - turned out the plug had just wiggled loose.

Drew

1 - 5 of 5 Posts