1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Greek Mod
4,294,967,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
sab and The Silver Sled (1988 900 Aero)

Specifications

Engine
Brand new Saab B202 2.0 Litre 16 valve crate engine (installed November 2010)
Rebuilt Bosch distributor
Stock Bosch electronic ignition
SPG9 AID (Advance Ignition Diaphragm) with timing at 20˚BTDC
Bougnicord spark plug leads
NGK BCP7EV plugs
Aquamist 1S water Injection using 0.9mm injector
Aquamist DDD (digital dash display) for water injection output
Crank case ventilation catch-can

Exhaust
2.5 inch from cat converter back with hi-flow racing cat
4 inch chrome semi-oval tip
Hi-flow dynomax stainless steel muffler and rear resonator
3 inch JSP stainless steel split down pipe off turbo to cat

Turbo
Mitsubishi TE-05 16G: with 16G compressor wheel with 10˚ clipped vanes, upgraded thrust and is rated as a 300HP turbo
Wastegate running 7psi base boost
Stage 2.5 SPG9 APC running to 18psi boost
Jak Stoll Performance Talon high-flow side mount intercooler
8 inch Davies Craig thermo pull fan mounted on reverse side of intercooler with manual switch inside cabin
Saab C900 1990+ aluminium turbo intercooler ducts
Stratmosphere Forge bypass valve
K&N filtercharger
Plastic intercooler top air dam

Fuel System
Bosch 3.0 BAR fuel pressure regulator
Trionic 5 34lb injectors
Jak Stoll Performance Stage 2 ECU chip
Fuel pressure gauge situated in-line on fuel rail

Suspension
Stock Saab Aero springs and shocks
Stock Saab Aero road handling kit including front and rear sway bars
Polyair inflatable air bags inside rear springs

Wheels & Tyres
16" x 6.5" Saab Super Aero rims
Goodyear Revspec Ducaro 205/50/16 tyres

Other
Stock Saab Aero factory whaletail
Saab Aero vent covers (factory colour coded silver to match duco)
AutoMeter 30"hg to 30psi boost guage
AutoMeter air/fuel ratio guage
Saab factory rear decor panel
SaabSavior short shifter
Saab Momo leather steering wheel
3.5mm blue silicon vacuum hose
Saab Aero original Alpine surround sound 5 speaker stereo
Aero kit factory colour coded silver to match duco

Output
Estimated 190kW (250hp) at front wheels (need to do another dyno once new crate engine is run in)

·
Premium Member
4,442 Posts
Congrats Sab!

Even more impressive is that in the southern hemisphere, the turbo spins in the opposite direction!

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Well deserved.. Arguably the best all around C900 out there!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Wow… awesome. I feel very honoured and thanks all for the comments and votes. Thanks also to yllwjet… your MCY Viggen is bloody fantastic and the comp was as close as buggery in the two rounds of voting and to the very end. Couldn't ask for a better competitor!

Ironjoe from the other thread… see below for the Aero panel that sits under the equaliser/surround sound/amp. :) Yeah must get my butt up to Seattle sometime. I will actually be in the USA this December with the GF from about the 13th to 20th, but only in San Francisco for a week. :(

Again thanks everyone… totally appreciate it all.

Here are a few other shots of the silver sled as taken over the years:

·
Registered
459 Posts
Just found these old shots from ages ago that I thought I would share too. Dunno if I have ever posted the contact sheet one anywhere. They are taken (on film!!) for an article in a local car magazine called MOTOR magazine from about 2001-ish I think. Test proof is as large as I have alas. But the magazine did get one of them blown up and framed to say thanks for providing the car to get photographed.

·
Registered
459 Posts
And here are some answers to the questions sent to me by Christos:

How long have you owned this car?
I purchased it on 6 December 1996, so it is been almost 15 years. It cost me aud$21,000 at the time (they were around aud$69,000 when new). They now go for between aud$3,000 to aud$10,000 for an exceptional example.

Is there anything unique about the history of this car?
Not may silver 900 Aeros around down here, especially now-a-days. In Melbourne I know of two others (nice cars but not as clean or original as mine). They were first available in 1985 as a c900 Aero in silver but didn't have the colour-coded aero kit, but did have that fantastic red interior, including the dash. Haven't seen many or rather any silver 900 Aeros from 1986 or 1987. A few were imported in 1988 through 1990 I think were the years. More common to find the black c900 Aero down here as that was available from 1986+ through to the end of the model in 1993.

Why did you choose this car to purchase?
At the time I test drove a 1992 "900 Aero i" through a private seller, which was the normally-aspirated 2.1 litre 900 with the Aero tupperware. There was a serious issue with the gearbox and leaky head gasket, not to mention the guy wanted too much for it… so I passed on it. Then I saw this come up for sale at a dealership a few weeks later… test drove, got it tested by my mechanic and the rest is history. Growing up my father had a 1985 9000 turbo and a 1990 900 EMS… both were pretty cool cars and grew my passion for the marque.

What other cars did you consider?
See above

What was your objective with this car?
I wanted a clean but stock looking exterior with just a few tweaks under the bonnet to make it perform a bit better. Both aims have been achieved I think.

What tuning style would you describe this car as?
Bit of a sleeper that I think looks pretty cool on the road but the performance is outstanding. Haven't had it re-dynoed since doing a lot of the performance work and installing the brand new NOS B202, but imagine it would put down around 250 to 280hp… compared to my custom Nordic Stage 4 9-3 Aero it feels somewhat similar but not as powerful. The way the boost comes on is very different.

Who helped you build this car?
My mechanic at Wantirna Auto here in Melbourne who is also a Saab Club of Australia member and very into his Saabs as well. Although his are all stock but very well kept. He is an absolute legend! Thanks David!

What makes your car special?
I think it is pretty cool that the Silver Sled is recognised across many international Saab sites and forums… really makes all the hard work, time and money well spent. It has also won a few of the Saab Club of Australia (Victoria Branch) Concours and show and shines over the years… I think maybe 5 trophies. It also appeared in a local car magazine down here called MOTOR where they do monthly features on past performance cars that are a bit different.

What is your favourite part/feature/function?
I guess my favourite feature is just the way it feels on the road… the feedback you get through twisty corners and even out on a freeway under boost. The sound is pretty awesome with the typical 900 gearbox whine and the sound of the turbo spooling. Very different car to drive compared to my 9-3 Aero.

Who or what inspired the direction of modifications on this car?
At time back in the late 90s there was lots of reading of Saabnet, especially of guys in the USA with similar models as the 900 Aero. Specific inspirations were the 900s of GM, Ironjoe, a guy in the UK called Pete Tandino, Jon Williams of course, Matt Faulks from the UK, Dave News 900 SPG, Todd Campesino's black SPG that was wrecked a few months after he finished the build, Taylor Weldren's red 900SPG etc. I am sure I am missing a few inspirational people there, so please forgive me if I missed you. Performance companies that really helped me were SPG9 (or Group 9 Performance) where I think every 900 owner back in the day had one of their tweaked APCs and AID units. They were pioneers for C900 tuning in the late 90s. Thanks Dave Kennedy and Mike Schadan! And also to Jak Stoll… especially as a pioneer for the c900 tuning too.

What don't you like about this car?
I don't like that I don't get to drive it enough. I have the car stored at my GF's fathers house as we just don't have room at home. So it becomes a bit of a chore to go and drive it. I also catch public transport to work during the week so don't get to drive any Saabs then alas.

What was your biggest obstacle in building this car?
Probably the same with everyone: money and time.

How did you overcome the issue?
I just did all the upgrades in stages over 10 years or so. Didn't feel there was a rush to get things done. The last "upgrade" was the the NOS crate B202 engine that I have been talking about doing for 5 years! Finally had the money to get that done.

What would you change if you could?
The two small splits in the whale tail rubber. :( It is the only part of the car that annoys me… nothing you can do about it as every single whale tail I have seen has splits in the same place. Impossible to find any down here that are perfect due to the harsh Aussie sun!

On a scale of 1 to 10, how satisfied are you with the outcome of this project?
11 of course!

What would you do to the car if money were no object?
Probably just fix all the little niggly things that are standard in a 23 year old car!

Who has been your biggest critic of this project?
No one really… everyone understands my Saab passion

What do your family and friends say about this car?
Again they understand I am a bit nuts about Saabs and fully understand (well as much as they can being non-Saab people) my passion.

What is your most memorable/humorous/embarrassing moment with this car?
Just getting lots of thumbs up over the years from other drivers. One guy in particular in an older Alfa Romeo followed me on a freeway playing tag for over 10km just to see the car. Pretty cool. I also enjoy you don't see them everywhere on the roads and lots of people give it a look to see WTF that was! LOL

Has this car competed in any events? Results?
Yes, it has won a few of the Saab Club of Australia (Victoria Branch) Concours and Show and Shines over the years… I think maybe 5 trophies. Also have run it on a few race tracks down here… not the fastest car out there but still held it's own in the same class against older BMW E30s, especially down the straights.

What is your favourite place to drive this car?
There is a road just outside of Melbourne called the Black Spur which is on the way to Marysville (where the big bushfires went through back in 2009 and where my Mum has a holiday house that was totally destroyed by the fire :( ). Awesome twisty roads and few short straights. I have driven the road countless times, so know every corner and it never gets boring. Only issue now-a-days is that it gets lots of sunday drivers (i.e. slow tourist cars). Also a great drive south from Melbourne along the Great Ocean Road. If you have never heard of either… check them out on Google maps.

What is your ideal day with this car?
Bit of a mountain driving combined with freeway cruises sounds about right.

Who gets to drive this car?
Myself mostly. The GF can but doesn't want to… she just enjoys being a passenger. My Mum has also taken it out for a drive and loved it!

If you had to name your car, what would you name it?
The Silver Sled of course.

What was your previous project?
An old Holden Torana from the mid 70s with a straight 6 engine. The quintessential Aussie car!

What is your next project?
Have been working on my 2002 9-3 Aero Custom Nordic Stage 4 and that is now at the point I am pretty happy with it!

What one word best describes your car?
That is hard… can i use two? Silver Sled.

Anything else you'd like to share?
I have attended three USA SOCs over the years: Stratton Mountain VT; Lake George NY; and the one in Boston. I think I was the first Aussie to attend one! Awesome to have been able to meet fellow Saab nutters in person and to see the passion for the brand on a global scale.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
Probably my favorite Saab... I remember seeing pictures when I was researching my 9-5 and being completely amazed. It's perfect.

·
Registered
890 Posts
That's a pretty car anywhere in the world. Congrats, well deserved!

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Good on ya sab, nice car.
I had a Torana as well:). Bathurst is on this weekend. Go Holden.

·
Registered
459 Posts
sab why is the steering wheel on the wrong side? *
that must have cost you a pretty penny to do that mod **
It was a special factory order to get the steering wheel on the "right" side of the car, hence the high for sale price when new.*
:)

·
Registered
2,309 Posts
I love your car! Cangrats!

·
Registered
459 Posts
Cheers guys! Much appreciated.

BTW what happens with the site badge under my name for winning the monthly comp? I don't see it?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
Very belated congrats, Steve! (Haven't really been watching the thread...) Well done, well deserved! Now go have a that Victoria Bitters we could never find here in the States on me!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts