Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this will only affect a small, if not a handful, of TSL members, but anyone who has a pre-OBDII car in the New York Metropolitan Area (Bronx, Brooklyn, Manhattan, Staten Island, Queens, Westchester County and I think Long Island) should find this news inviting. Here at my job we got a notice over the state inspection machine telling us that come Jan 1, 2011, the DMV will no longer be requiring the dyno inspections, and will be eliminating the blue & white printed paper stickers for the newer colored inspection sticker. This will allow people who have thier cars registered in the NYC area to have their cars inspected throughout the state, since it will be a safety, gas cap pressure test & visual emissions inspection. The fee remains $37. Just thought I'd share.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, this eliminates the test where the sniffer is put in the exhaust and the car is run at different speeds up to 50 mph for several miles. The inspection retains the safety and gas cap test portion, the emissions is a basic visual inspection of the exhaust system.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
Yes, this eliminates the test where the sniffer is put in the exhaust and the car is run at different speeds up to 50 mph for several miles. The inspection retains the safety and gas cap test portion, the emissions is a basic visual inspection of the exhaust system.
They got rid of this in Ohio about 6 or 7 years ago.It cost us $19.50. I've got horror stories. I took my 84 El Camino in to be tested and the guy was about to test it with the FRONT wheels on the rollers. I ran out of the waiting area yelling at him to stop. I had to tell him that it was a rear wheel drive truck! I should have let him run it through the brick wall.

When I took my 88 Chevy Rectum in they had to get a receptionist from the office because she was the only one that could drive a manual.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What is an inspection? We don't have those... just mail in the annual fee for license plate tabs.
Our registration is good for two years, but every year vehicles are subject to inspections. They check the the condition of the cars and the tires, brakes, lights, glass, seatbelts, ETC.

Whattt, I pay 21 dollars, and I am in NYS.

Was not aware of the sniffer tests in NYC, but I guess that's cool if I ever decide to move there.
Yeah, they're necessary on non-OBDII cars that aren't 25 years old yet (which exempts the car from dyno emissions testing). The message from DMV says less than 500,000 cars are expected to be dyno'd so thats why they're ending the sniffer test. It was an enhanced inspection for pollution control and only affected cars registered in the areas surrounding NYC. When I had my cars registered upstate it only cost me $21 to inspect them but with the way the state is I'm happy they didn't jack the $37 up.

·
7,595 Posts
What's most interesting about it is that they are not changing the price to the normal fee. What's the extra $16 for? Just cause you register in the NY metro area? They are doing the exact same amount of work as the non metro area Bullshit. PA officials better not get it in their head that this is a good idea or acceptable when they eliminate the emission dyno in Philly metro area, which is only a matter of time.

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
What's most interesting about it is that they are not changing the price to the normal fee. What's the extra $16 for? Just cause you register in the NY metro area?
probably. im so glad i got out. to register a car in NYS its cost just under $200, with a nice 50 or 60 dollar MTA tax.

yes, i pay an mta tax on my car so other people can take the train to work, its absolute bullshit.

in RI, it just takes 7 hours at DMV.

·
Registered
1,130 Posts
probably. im so glad i got out. to register a car in NYS its cost just under $200, with a nice 50 or 60 dollar MTA tax.

yes, i pay an mta tax on my car so other people can take the train to work, its absolute bullshit.

in RI, it just takes 7 hours at DMV.
Cost me $58 to renew my registration for 2011. Did it online in about 2 minutes and my new sticker was mailed within a week.

The worst thing about our E-check was that of the $19.50 we were charged, the state only got $.50. The owner of the machines got $19.

What I hated most is that the safety check was eliminated. Unless you're bringing a car in from another state, there is no safety inspection in Ohio. It was common to see beat to shit cars with no brake or tail lights driving down the road. But some of them had brand new shiny exhaust systems plainly visible.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.