Saab Link Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car is a 1993 Aero auto. Ran great until today, no previous TCS issues.

Drove it to work this morning (~20 miles), parked it around 10am. Went out to go to lunch around 1230, and it started up, idled around 400rpm, and lit the "TCS CTRL" light. Gas pedal is barely responsive, car has no power, smells like it's running super rich. I have no clue where to even start, I know these cars can suffer from lots of TCS gremlins. I JUST got the turbo replaced, smogged it, and paid up the registration, and I've only driven it for a few days, and now this happens...

Any help would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,754 Posts
How hot was it out? Start with vac lines but if they are good, try the Safety Valve on the firewall.

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
You're officially in Limp Home Mode.

Do some searching for details on how to test the TCS Safety Valve by swapping for the valve on the fender.

Whether or not that solves the problem... Message me your email address and I will forward the TCS Manual, Wiring Diagram, and Vacuum Hose Routing Diagram. You should have these on hand. :)

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The outside temp yesterday was ~85-90F at 1230pm.

This morning I tried swapping that valve for the one on the fender, made no difference. Now the car won't even start, no matter where each valve is. It cranks and cranks but only fires once, then dies. :frown:

I know I probably need to get ahold of a mechanic with an ISAT or TECHII, but I have no idea where I might find one in the northern CA area...

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Contact DrewP on here . He's in California but not sure where

He knows his stuff

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks dantinne and WSW, you guys are awesome.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Did you disconnect the battery to clear the codes? If it set a limp mode inducing code sometimes even if you correct any vacuum line issues it will stay in limp mode until the faults are erased from memory.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Also check the tautness of the backup throttle cable. The one and only time I had a TCS issue, it would barely idle and stall as soon as I'd get off of the clutch. With some zip ties that I conveniently had in my pocket, I re-secured the cable to the throttle actuator with much less slack and was at least able to get it to be drivable to work. Magically, the next time I started the car (I did leave the battery disconnected while at work) it worked perfectly normally, and has ever since.

I'm not saying that tightening the cable will fix your TCS, but it might just make your car drivable until you can figure out what the issue is.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, took it to the shop over the weekend, and the mechanic just called me back. Apparently the car is throwing 3 codes: TPS, CPS, and o2 sensor (but it passed smog a week ago?). He investigated further and found that the throttle body wasn't working properly (he said motor could have failed, wiring could be at fault). He also said that the throttle body failure could be causing the car to throw the other codes. Does this sound right, and if so, how much am I looking at for a TB?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for the input everyone.

Actually, the mechanic quoted me $440 for a rebuilt unit. I contacted Dantinne (who has been MOST helpful), and he's gonna help me out with a used unit. The mechanic also pulled up 2 other codes (CPS and o2 sensor). I'm confused about these codes because the car ran strong and smooth with no CEL and no issues at all (other than the cruise kicking off under throttle). I suppose I'll be shopping for these today as well.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Also, I found this '93 9K Aero on the local Craigslist this morning. I'm thinking of buying it up for the parts (since 93's are hard to find). Would anyone else be interested in any parts if I did this?

·
Registered
7,349 Posts
Also, I found this '93 9K Aero on the local Craigslist this morning. I'm thinking of buying it up for the parts (since 93's are hard to find). Would anyone else be interested in any parts if I did this?
I'd be interested in a few small things, yeah. But over all if you end up getting that car, the trans(mileage?)+(working)TCS parts is worth it alone. Not to mention the seats etc...

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Same. The trans if it's a 5-speed (my brother just popped the diff in his tuned '93 Aero) and the driver's seat if it's in good shape.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm, called the guy over the weekend and he had already sold it. :/

I spoke to my mechanic this morning and he said that further diagnosis revealed that the TCS computer is flaking out. He said he tested all the wiring going to the computer and the connector itself was fine, but that the computer was working only intermittently. So, it appears I am in need of a new TCS computer. I'll check the classifieds on here but I wanted to give everyone an update. Thanks everybody for your help so far!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts