Saab Link Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy I work with has a BMW 330 ci. He loves it and dotes on it the way we do our Saabs. I had a ride with him to go to lunch one day, and that car could move. Solid, quiet and verrrrry smooth. I have to say that I was impressed. Nice ride.

About a week later, it was my turn to drive to lunch. My friend had never been in a Saab before. He didn't know that my car was a turbo and he was very interested to see how it performed on the highway. He had a hard time taking his eyes off of the boost gauge! Anyway, where we get on the highway there's a very long entrance ramp (i.e., plenty of room to get up to speed) but I take it slow, not going past 55-60 until we get to the merge lane where I drop into 3rd and peg it. I saw him go back into the seat and his eyes get big as he was not prepared for the acceleration. We were up to 80 in no time. He looked over at me and said, "Wow. My car doesn't have that kind of pick up."

My week was made. A kill without having to race anyone. :D

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
nice mang iuf u ever wanna work on your car come over.. i m misisng drivin mine... and now im just savin to mod it over winter

·
Registered
363 Posts
Neat. I too ran into a compition to my car.

Friend bought a 1989 325, was neat looking at it b/c my car being a 1989 900T was kinda what saab was competing against. I did not realize the 325's were 6cyc, always thought them as 4cyc.

I have yet to play around with him, i'm curious how well saab did compared to them in 1989. I know saab kicked their ass in the snow handling area.

Ian

·
Registered
461 Posts
Yeah I have to say sometimes I get googly eyed over BMWs like a fully modded 330i or m3/m5. I have to say my friends 2004 M3 has a very very nice interior, but I think exterior wise my car has the looks. My BBS stock rims look so much better then his wheels. His rims look like they have never been cleaned of the brake dust even though I know they are just colored that way.

·
Registered
610 Posts
BLÜE 9-3se said:
Wow. My car doesn't have that kind of pick up."
My week was made. A kill without having to race anyone. :D
Precisely. I friend of mine owns a 2001 325i. He bought it to have a manual car with a decent handling, and he appreciates good cars in general. After hearing about my upgrades, he wanted to try the Saab, and finally got his chance last week. He got into the car, went around the block with a couple of spirited surges and pulled over. And then he said this (his words exactly): "I'm afraid to push the accelerator on this car more than half-way down. None of my cars went like THIS. Can you show me how it drives yourself?". And so I did! ;)

·
Registered
140 Posts
my friend has a 1997 bmw 540-i 6-speed and even though that car is rediculously quick, he always jumps at a chance to switch cars and play with my turbo. Its awesome to see someone who actually knows something about cars and who can appreciate a saab

·
Registered
88 Posts
if i were to choose a new car based on interiors only, audi is IT - hands down! Otherwise, I love the interior in my classic 900. Love it over many new cars I've been in. And the more I own it, the more it grows on me.

·
Registered
876 Posts
My dad has a TT with all green. Green top, paint, and leather. The interior is like a space ship but still classic looking and it has little doors to hide things so it's real clean. It was one of the first things I liked about the car. The most comfortable cars I have ever been in are the 928 and maserati biturbo. I almost traded my 1987 Saab 900 S in 1991 for a biturbo till I asked arround and found out they have endless problems. But for me a C900 will always feel like home. I love how 9000s are set up too.

·
Registered
88 Posts
What I love in particular about my interior is the colorful, shiny "Saab-Scania" emblem on my steering wheel. Makes it more alive. I don't like Saab steering wheels which just have plastic imprints - they should have kept that real logo over the years.

I agree on the clean design of the Audis. I haven't been in TT... I've been in A4 and A6, and they were lovely! BMW are pretty good too, but I wasn't too crazy about them. I also liked the new C-class. I really liked the new 9-3 interior but having doubts about its fit and finish.

·
Registered
584 Posts
saab90089 said:
I have yet to play around with him, i'm curious how well saab did compared to them in 1989.
One word - handling. Stock for stock, your Saab's probably faster (acceleration-wise) in a lot of situations, but the Bimmer's got RWD and a well balanced suspension - it'll be a lot more tossable.

There's no doubt that your Saab would make a better winter car though!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts